Chicago Marathon

course (Read 450 times)

This forum is awfully quiet, but I hope someone who has run Chicago before sees this. What kind of beverage besides water is supplied? I want to start using it on my long runs. Jackie

Jackie

Frank4

This forum is awfully quiet, but I hope someone who has run Chicago before sees this. What kind of beverage besides water is supplied? I want to start using it on my long runs. Jackie
      Gatorade Endurance and water should be at all aid stations. They usually have a Power Gel station at around mile 17, too. Good luck! Are you running either of the half-marathons in Chicago as a tune-up race? One is this Sunday, the other is next month. Frank
      RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

From ChicagoMarathon.com under "The Course": "Hinckley Springs water and Gatorade Endurance Formula will be available along the course at 20 Aid Stations. PowerGel will be available at one PowerGel Zone. " I too have to start using the Endurance formula. I currently use powdered "regular" Gatorade. Of course I dilute it first... Smile Gel is at Mile 18. Editted to add: I'm running the CDC (first time) as a marathon pace run. I'll tag along with the 1:35 pacer. Not sure if that'll be in Wave 1 or 2. Weather is shaping up to be nice so I'm bummed that I'm not going for a Corral A spot... Cry Have not decided on the Banco Popular HM. Ran that twice before. I'll probably do the Lake Zurich HM the week before as it falls on another marathon pace run day.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Frank4

I, too, am running the CDC for the first time this weekend. Why did you decide against trying to get into Corral A for the marathon? I would love to, but haven't put in the miles to cut off that much time. I am in Corral B right now for October. Hopefully the weather holds out. At least the early start time will help with the heat. I ran on the lakeshore path last weekend a bit later in the morning, and it was plenty warm.
          RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I, too, am running the CDC for the first time this weekend. Why did you decide against trying to get into Corral A for the marathon? I would love to, but haven't put in the miles to cut off that much time. I am in Corral B right now for October. Hopefully the weather holds out. At least the early start time will help with the heat. I ran on the lakeshore path last weekend a bit later in the morning, and it was plenty warm.
            My schedule has Sunday as a pace run - I'm trying to be "good" and keep my training pace in check so I don't end up overtrained. I may be able to get down to a 1:25 IF I cut back my miles for this week and/or if it's reasonably coolish. We'll see what happens.... Note that I'm already in Corral B with a 1:28 from February so there's no real pressure. Corral B is good enough for my first marathon Smile.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

RunAsics - Are you shooting for a sub-3? Either way, you're undoubtedly going to have an extremely impressive debut marathon time!

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

RunAsics - Are you shooting for a sub-3? Either way, you're undoubtedly going to have an extremely impressive debut marathon time!
                Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'd love to go sub 3; however, I'm hesitant to commit to that pace since I have no idea what to expect given some good and bad 20 milers this past month. For my first ever 20, I ran a negative split. Felt OK. The other two have been even with some tough final miles but heat and humidity were factors as well as fatigue from hard training runs & races. Tip: don't run a hilly 10 mile race, on tired legs from mile repeats that week, the day before a 21 miler. Roll eyes Anyway, my current plan is to head out with the 3:10 pacer. I "only" need 3:15 for a BQ so have some wiggle room in case the wheels fall off in the final miles. I reserve the right to change my mind...

Anyway, my current plan is to head out with the 3:10 pacer. I "only" need 3:15 for a BQ so have some wiggle room in case the wheels fall off in the final miles. I reserve the right to change my mind...
                  For what its worth, your times and your mileage tell me you've got the BQ in the bag, which will be a fantastic accomplishment for a first marathon. ... The weather for the CDC still looks awesome. High of 77 on Sunday, but more importantly, overnight lows in the 50's the night before. Should make for a nice, crisp Summer morning. I'll be heading down to the expo this afternoon; starting to get real excited. Good luck to everyone running.

Forever Learning

Something to think about for tomorrow's CDC... Winds are planned from the North at 20mph (even at 6am). Might want to think hard about a negative split with the last half into a strong headwind.
                    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

It was pretty windy. Not too big a deal. I used the race as a training run. I had a nice negative split but I had planned to run m-pace for the first 10 miles then speed up. Went as planned. I didn't have too much trouble pulling off a 20 min 5k at the end, even with the wind. I passed A LOT of runners. It seemed like I was sprinting by many of them. Big grin

I ran all-out, and managed to negative split as well. I suspect that I started with a target pace a little too slow for my current fitness level. When I still felt very good at the turnaround, I decided to push a little harder on the back half. I'm a bit bummed that the course might have been laid out incorrectly (per the thread in the Racing forum) because I would have been pretty damn happy with a 1:35:XX, which is what I think I ran for 13.1 miles. Oh well, no regrets for me: I still managed a nice PR and finally cracked 1:40. Didn't like the course, didn't like the staging, didn't like the shirt, didn't like the expo. Definitely didn't like running a long course. I think I'd rather travel for a well-run half than run the CDC again. Too bad, because it was better the last two years.

Frank4

I agree about the course logistics, etc. It seemed like a second-rate race all around. The expo was poorly set up; the course wasn't great; the shirt...well, it's just a shirt. One thing that I can say that was decent was the finisher's medal. Not much of a consolation, but at least it's something. My race did not go as planned. I have been having some medical problems with a stomach issue, and it bit me during the race. The first 2/3 of the run went fine, but I struggled mightily during the last third. Wasn't winded or worn out, just too much stomach pain to finish productively. I will be heading back to the Doc to see what else can be done...so far, the fixes put in place have not fixed anything. Regardless, it was a nice morning for a run. Berner - congrats on the new PR! A great accomplishment. And Run Asics - congrats to you on the solid run and the strong finish. You're well on your way to a BQ in October.
                          RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

The race didn't live up to the hype of being better than the Banco Popular HM. The start/finish is more convenient but that's about it. At least they had plenty of PoJs! Berner - congrats on the PR! Frank4 - yeah, stomach issues will stop you in your tracks. Good job finishing.