Chicago Marathon

45,000 Cap (Read 431 times)

I am thinking about running this race, my first marathon. The longest race to date is a 15k. I would really like to wait until after my July half. Do you think July will be to late and the registration will be full?

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

All business

I'm willing to bet it'll be full by then. I remember in 2006 it was full by May. I want to say it was full by April or so last year. Charities often have extra spots open, though they require you to raise money (which you need to pay upfront). It's a great, flat race though with lots of crowd support.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

I can almost guarantee that registration will be closed by July. The pace of entries might lag a little behind last year due to the issues with last year's race, but I expect the spots to fill by mid-May at the latest. The current registration count is at 30,677. But, there is ALWAYS a bunch of new registrations immediately after the Boston Marathon. Lots of people see that race on TV or read about it in the papers, and it motivates/reminds them to sign up. IIRC, Chicago filled up within about a week after the Boston running last year.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Its gone up about 3000 in a week. I'm still waiting on my Corral information to be updated, so I emailed them and they said they were busy because of the Shamrock Shuffle 8k.
            Thanks! Sounds like I need to decide SOON! A friend signed up last week. My husband is running the Flying Pig in Cincinnati May 4th. We may see how he does and then sign up. Where is the current registration count?

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

The registration database is updated only every few days, so the count total hasn't changed since the count I posted above. You can check the tally yourself by going to the registration confirmation page and entering a "%" symbol in the search box for either the first or last name. This should call up all the registration records in the database and give you the total.

One other thing to remember ... the marathon holds about 6000 - 8000 spots for charity programs. These spots do not show up on the registration confirmation page. So, if the registered total currently says 30,677 then the real number could be closer to 38,000.

Its up to 32075 now so thats about 1300 in 4 days.
                    Its 32,477 this AM, and I finally had my Corral updated to A. So I would say the day after Boston it will close...
                      Update 4/15: current registration count is 34,732 Assuming 6000-8000 spots are held for charity organizations, that means only 2000-4000 spots are left for this year's race.

The 2008 Chicago Marathon is not for me this year. I am going to stick with my original plan: a couple half marathons before attempting a full. GOOD LUCK!!!

Update 4/18: current registration count is 35996 Assuming 6000-8000 spots are held for charity organizations, that means only 1000-3000 spots are left for this year's race. If I was a betting man, I'd say registration will close on Tuesday 4/22.

The marathon sent the following email to all past participants this afternoon: Registration for the 2008 Bank of America Chicago Marathon is rapidly approaching its 45,000 participant capacity. Only a few thousand open entries are still available. If you are interested in participating in the 2008 event, we encourage you to register now before the field is full. To register, visit chicagomarathon.com. Once open registration is closed, entry into the 2008 race can still be obtained through our official charity partners or affiliated international tour groups. For more information on these options, visit chicagomarathon.com.

Frank4

Its 32,477 this AM, and I finally had my Corral updated to A. So I would say the day after Boston it will close...
                              Almost...two days after Boston, and it is now closed. Now, just 5 1/2 months until race day...
                                I was only off by a day. If only I could predict my marathon times that well. Big grin