Chicago Marathon

2008 Course Changes (Read 284 times)

Out of curiosity I did a side by side comparison of the 2007 and 2008 course maps. Some observations:
  • the course itself is unchanged
  • new aid station between mile 9 and 10 (2007: none)
  • new aid station between mile 12 and 13 (2007: none)
  • the aid station in mile 15 has been moved earlier
  • new "hydration zone" between mile 16 and 17 (2007: none)
  • food at mile 19 aid station (2007: ?)
  • new "hydration zone" between mile 20 and 21 (2007: none)
  • food at mile 20 aid station (2007: ?)
  • food at mile 22 aid station (2007: ?)
  • food at mile 23 aid station (2007: ?) The "hydration zones" have water, misters, medical and toilets -- basically aid stations, but with misters and without Gatorade. In sum, 2007: 15 aid stations 1 Powergel station 2008: 17 aid stations (4 with food) 2 hydration stations 1 Powergel station There are now only 2 miles without on-course fluids: 14 & 18. In both cases, there are aid stations shortly before and shortly after the respective mile markers, so the farthest you'll go without on-course fluids in 2008 looks to be about 1.25 miles.
  • How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Good news. I heard on the grapevine that you could pay a premium and get assigned a hydration pacer, i.e. a runner pushing a cart filled with Gatorade, orange slices, gels and water bottles who also gets you to the finish line on time.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I heard on the grapevine that you could pay a premium and get assigned a hydration pacer, i.e. a runner pushing a cart filled with Gatorade, orange slices, gels and water bottles who also gets you to the finish line on time.
        Hehe. Well, I doubt that they'll go quite that far. However, it is pretty obvious that they upped the 2008 on-course support in response to last year's issues. All of which means you can expect 6 inches of snow on race day. Evil grin Oops, I didn't mean "snow" ... I meant "airborne cooling & hydration." Evil grin

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Hopefully they'll be able to cancel those misters if its a typical fall day in Chicago with temps in the 40s in the morning. I don't want to be "misted" when its 40-60F out...