Chicago Marathon

Getting to the seeded corrals on race morning (Read 295 times)

Right on Hereford...

I heard secondhand that it can be difficult getting into your corral on race morning if you don't start making your way in that direction early enough. There were tales of people climbing 20-foot fences in a desperate attempt to get to their corral before the starting gun, since the only other option at that point was fighting through huge crowds.

If you have run in one of the corrals, particularly A, how long does it take to get to the entrance of the seeded corrals, and how long does it take to make your way through D, C, and B before finally arriving at A?

Another question: I'm staying with my sister-in-law, who lives at Randolph and Michigan. Given that the seeded corral entrance is on Jackson, can I just walk east on Randolph, cut through (or around) Grant Park, parallelling Lake Shore, to Jackson and the seeded entrance? Or will there be fences there to prevent us from doing that? The recommended route to the seeded entrance is from the south/west, FWIW.

Here's a map of the start area:

http://www.chicagomarathon.com/CMS400Min/uploadedFiles/Chicago_Marathon/Runner_Information/09%20Grant_Park_9_8.pdf

Getting to the seeded corrals is a two-step process.

First, you enter the "Seeded Start Entrance" which on the map is located on Jackson, a little east of Columbus.  Think of the Seeded Start area as a big waiting room for all the people with seeded bibs (top-100, A-D).  You can see the fence that makes up this waiting room area on the map -- its the dotted line in the park that runs all the way up to Monroe, and includes the Start Stage and the Petrillo Band Shell (the fenced-in area is kinda "L" shaped).  There are portalets, water tables, etc. located in the Seeded Start area that are exclusively available to folks with a seeded bib. 

Second, each of the seeded corrals (top-100, A-D) has an entrance located inside the waiting area.  The corrals are situated on the streets, as indicated on the map.  The corral entrances are well-marked.

So to get into Corral A, you must first go to the Seeded Start Entrance (stopping at the nearby seeded gear check, if you wish), make your way a little west and north through the Seeded Start area, and then find the actual entrance to the A corral on Columbus (hint: its right behind the "elite corral" on the map).

If you're coming from Randolph & Michigan, I think your best bet is to go east on Randolph to the Daley Bicentennial Plaza, then head due south crossing over what's labeled the "Runner Reunite" area on the map.  Most people in the open corral will be coming from the west, so you'll avoid a lot of foot traffic this way.  I came this way in 2007, and I don't remember having to go too far out of my way.

ETA: Do give yourself extra time, especially to get through the Seeded Start Entrance.  Its pretty crowded here because they are checking a lot of bibs (about 25% of the field has a seeded bib).  Plus, once you get inside the Seeded Start area, it'll take a little time to make your way close the corral A entrance.  But once you get close to the corral A entrance, you can find a nearby spot in the park and relax.  It only takes a moment to flash your bib and get entrance to the corral itself.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Right on Hereford...

Great, thanks for the detailed reply! That really helps.
        RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Last year I came in through the Runner's ReUnite area.  Note that there are PortoJohns on the Monroe (north) side.  Use those.  Everyone goes into the seeded area and stands in line for 30 mins.  I had no wait at the PoJ and strolled into and up to Corral B with perhaps 30mins (maybe a bit longer) to gun with no real problems.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

This will be my fourth Chicago Marathon starting in Corral A and I have never had a problem getting into it.  All problems can be avoided by planning ahead and arriving early.  I would recommend getting to the corral by 7:00 or earlier.  You should be able to enter the way you described.  I have never seen these 20 foot fences you are talking about, but sometimes people like to exaggerate a bit.  I don't remember how long it takes to walk to the corral, but it has never seemed crowded too me.   Just get there early, relax in the corral, and you won't have any problems.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

Was it all a dream?

I had to climb over a fence to get into corral A in 2007.  It wasn't 20ft, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted to do at that point.  Of course, it was already 80 degrees by that point, so it was pretty obvious nothing was going to go right that day.