Chicago Marathon

Expo 2009 (Read 197 times)

I'm just back from the Expo; bib and chip in hand.  Nothing left now but to run it. 

Expo seemed a little scaled back this year.  No real show-stopper exhibits.  Brooks has a M*A*S*H-themed gait analysis tent that looks cool, but most of the exhibits are pretty conventional fare.  (Then again, maybe I've finally done enough marathons that these Expos don't get me giddy anymore.)

The official shirt is a nice, light-blue Nike dryfit short-sleeve.  Same as last year, the ladies get a separate fitted version.  The logo is decent enough, so I give it a passing grade.  (I'll try to get a photo up in a little bit.)

The official jackets, on the other hand, left me disappointed.  Although I didn't have any real plans to buy one this year, seeing them in person sealed my decision.  There's nothing horribly wrong with them -- they're just a bit, well, plain.  The "2009" branding is on the sleeve, and unless you look closely, its hard to tell that its anything other than an off-the-shelf jacket.  Granted, this may actually be a big plus for some people, but personally I want my official marathon jacket to scream "OFFICIAL MARATHON JACKET."  Unless the official logo is at least visible from space, I'm not interested.

(Speaking of visible from space, how about those 2009 Boston Marathon jackets!  I must have seen about a hundred people wearing those blue-and-yellow beauties, and my eyes still haven't adjusted from the exposure.  BTW, I just love people who wear their Boston gear to other marathon's expos. )

Finally, happy to see that the weather report is getting marginally better as the hours pass.  Tom Skilling's latest forecast calls for slightly warmer temp than earlier predictions -- and more importantly, the previously-discussed scattered rain showers are now no longer in the forecast.   

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Shirt:

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Why is it sideways?

I'll be in the pacer booth 3-6 on Saturday. Drop by and say howdy.

Oh, and run fast, yo!