Christian Runners

Watcha Doin' This Month? May 2013 (Read 19 times)

Isaiah 40:31 - "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint."

Since there are a few of us in here now, thought maybe we could start a monthly thread to let everyone know what's going on in your running life, regular life, etc.  To introduce myself -

My name’s Leslie,  I’m in my (eh hem -cough) late 40s and live in the far reaches of Northern California.  I’ve been running for about 7 years now, and am a self-described trail snob.  I run on roads when I have to, but am an ultra trail runner (albeit a slow one).  Most of the time, I run the 50k distance, but am moving my way up and have completed two 50-milers to date (American River and Mt. Hood).  My goal is to complete a 100-miler next year . . . and live to tell the tale.

My husband and I recently went through an excrutiating life-altering experience; but as always when God challenges us, the blessings far outweigh anything else.  My husband recently celebrated his 2-year sobriety birthday, and we are both back walking with the Lord after a long 24+ year absence.  It’s been a long haul, but we now have a marriage built on love, mutual respect, and a dependency on the Lord.  Things are good!

I'm coming back from Achilles tendonitis and actually got run/walk 5 miles on Saturday and did 4 slow running miles this morning, followed by about 35-40 min of core/strength training.  After about 6 weeks of no running, I'm a happy camper!  I might actually get to run with my friends some Memorial Day Weekend in Auburn at the Western States Training Camp.  One of my friends is running the race, but anybody can participate in the training camps.  It was suppose to be 3 days/70 miles of running, but oh well. Instead, I'll be volunteering at least the first day (Saturday), hope to get in a short trail run in on Sunday, then run/walk the 22 miles on Monday.  We'll see . . . .

Hope more of you pop in throughout the month to keep us updated on the goings on in your respective lives ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Joe1775

I've got a 6K trail run this upcoming Saturday, then I'm driving down to Fredericksburg, VA to run the Historic Half marathon.  I plan on enjoy the Historic Half and not fully racing it.  I have a half marathon in Morgantown, WV on June 1st that I hope to PR in.

I've done a few 50Ks, but don't have any on the schedule for this year.  I'll be running the Marine Corps Marathon for the 5th time in October, and Rehoboth Beach marathon for the 2nd time in December.

In 2014 I have plans to push myself back up into the Ultra distance.  Deo Volente.

I do a Bible study first thing every morning, then head out on my run.  I try to find some way to correlate what I've read into why I experience in my run and daily life.  It makes it all personal to me, which is how I like my relationship with God.  I wanted to share some of this, so I started this forum as a place to do so.

I have hopes that others will share the same!

God Bless!

Put in 35 min of the stationary bike this morning (not my most favorite form of exercise, but beggers can't be choosers), followed by about 20 min of core and some upper body work.  I get to try another 4 miles tomorrow, so am praying everything continues to go well.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Joe1775

I pray all continues to go well with your healing.

Hey, I'm Josh and I live outside of Greenville, SC.  I just happened to see this group and thought i'd check it out.

I'm 37, married, have 3 little kids, and teach P.E.

I didn't get into endurance sports until my 30's.  I did a 5k then a marathon (slow) and then did a sprint triathlon and then started working my way up in distance with tri's.

I quickly learned the value of committment and self-discipline and sacrifice and I applied those principles to my spiritual life and noticed a big difference.  This all started about 3 years ago and i think I've grown more spiritually in the last 3 years or so than the rest of my adult life.

I'm thankful for all I've learned and experienced through endurance sports and now i'm just hoping to find the right balance.  I want to keep competing but I don't want it become more important than it should be.  I have to always check myself to make sure it's in the proper place.  Not my identity and not too much of a priority.

My plans for this month:  recover from some knee pain that I got about 4 weeks ago.  I did some interval training on a stationary bike for the 1st time and i think that was the culprit.  i've had some sharp pains as well as some dull pains and I did a couple races while it was sore, so it didn't heal.  I'm taking 2 weeks off completely.  I'm signed up for an olympic distance tri on June 9th.  so we'll see.

I read a passage the other day i want to share:  John 17:20-23  "Jesus prays for all believers"  in His prayer, Jesus prays for all believers to become one and for all believers to be brought to complete unity...  I hope that we Christians can do a better job of being united and not divided over denominations etc etc.  This forum is a good example of how Christians from all over can show some unity because we have so much in common and our love comes from the same source.

I just ran Ice Age 50 last weekend and plan on recovery for the rest of the month. Big grin

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Welcome, Castle!

And howdy Cassie! Haven't seen you in awhile.  Enjoy the recovery. Smile

So after a long talk with my buddy, Karen, last night and with my PT today, I'm going to start running after work so I can run on dirt instead of road, at least for awhile.  The only reason I haven't done this before is I don't like running after work.  I'm tired and I just want to go home.  But if means less stress on ye ole bod (which it does), it's what I need to do.  So unless it's a short run (like 3 miles), I only be doing cross or strength/core training in the a.m.   The Hub shouldn't mind too much since he goes to a 5:15 p.m. AA meeting almost every day and doesn't get home 'til around 6:30.  The big question:  Who's cookin' dinner?!?!?

Another of my current favorite verses: Phil 4:13 - "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."  I do my best to apply this to my life every day.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I haven't been able to get in here much in the last few weeks, but I hope everyone is still doing great.

I'm slowly building my mileage again, while being very cautious of how my AT's are feeling.  In two weeks, I get to crew for a friend at the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run, and I am so excited!  Three years ago when she got in, we had a blast crewing for her, and I anticipate this year will be just as much fun.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Joe1775

Glad to hear you are doing better! Enjoy WS! I bet it's an amazing experience to crew for a friend there. You are awesome for doing that!