Circle North

Workouts, schedule, etc. (Read 807 times)

L Train

Thanks everybody.  Robin's largely right, I'm going to do what I'm going to do.  Like I said, this is rooted in "what do I do after Boston" indecision.  Maybe I'll just wait and cross that bridge when I get there. 

And day 6, still no alcohol, cheeseburgers or french fries.  Dammit.   

L Train

Wow, clear, blunt and true.

Par for the course.

And coach, be nice to poor Purdey.

day 6...still no runnin, cheeseburgers or french fries.+1 dammit. right there with ya pal!

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Home Away From Home

day 6...still no runnin, cheeseburgers or french fries.+1 dammit. right there with ya pal!

No cheesebuger and FF and you would have -1.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

My salty dogs

Wow, clear, blunt and true. Very well said.

+1. I'm just sticking with my 35 miles a week plan. Increase the intensity and average pace overall. I think 40 miles with focused workouts would get any of you a 5k PR.

Home Away From Home

Cremer-

How is hte West Nile/Bird Fle/E-coli treating you? Liked that day's entry.  Now serious question, your new shoes, Kenvara's or what ever tehy are, never hard of them.  What's up? Some new fancy brand, you said they feel good at higher pace, good race shoes?  Light weight for short distance or cushioned enough for half/fulls?

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

My salty dogs

Cremer-

How is hte West Nile/Bird Fle/E-coli treating you? Liked that day's entry.  Now serious question, your new shoes, Kenvara's or what ever tehy are, never hard of them.  What's up? Some new fancy brand, you said they feel good at higher pace, good race shoes?  Light weight for short distance or cushioned enough for half/fulls?

Awesome shoe-- I've had mine since September.  Great for many as a race shoe but also as a good step towards a more minimal shoe.

I just started with a pair of Brooks Green Silence-- fantastic race shoe for any of you but more minimal than the SAUCONY PROGRID™ KINVARA

Yep, what Dave said. They're very light with a lot less built up heel. Not a racing flat or anything, but definitely a lot less shoe than I've been wearing, which is why I'm going to transition into them kinda slowly. Don't know if they'll ever become an everyday shoe or not but so far I'm very impressed. They definitely are making me land more mid-foot and heel strike less, which can only be good. Also, they're obnoxiously day-glo green, which is entertaining.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

Michael I have a pair too, ditto what they said.  Salty can wear them every day, and if you strike midfoot you might be able to to after getting used to them.  I run in them maybe 2x week just to vary it up, and I couldn't wear them every day.  I've also read that they wear faster than other shoes, FWIW.

i may have asked this already....what about for someone who toe runs fast and heel strikes slow. would it then keep me in the middle at all paces. maybe i just need to learn how to run. i saw a pair at the expo at baystate...i almost bought them cause they were pretty pink. kinda wish i had now.

I doubt it would do anything for the fast part. Might make you heelstrike less for the slow part, but that's not really what they're made for. They're a lot less supportive so I dunno if maybe they'd just cause you more problems than they'd solve. I'm personally curious whether they'll be good or bad for my knees. I'd race a 5k in them now but I think it'd be a while before I'd attempt anything particularly long.  And bear in mind, I've run in them exactly twice, so I'm far from an expert.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

If I remember right, more minimal shoes correlate to higher instances of PF and Achilles pain (but help against shin splints and other stuff).  I may have that wrong but if that's right that's all you need. 

My salty dogs

If I remember right, more minimal shoes correlate to higher instances of PF and Achilles pain (but help against shin splints and other stuff).  I may have that wrong but if that's right that's all you need. 

I don't think a minimal shoes creates those issues-- running on the forefoot and pushing off does. Plus the dorsoflex of the foot as it comes forward past your midpoint -- as in a foreward stride.  Fivefingers is an example of a shoe that actually promotes the forefoot strike and I think leads to those types of injuries. There newer shoes allow for a more midfoot strike.

As Greg mentioned,  when wearing a minimal shoe the idea is to land whole or mid foot however also when doing so the idea is to place the foot down right under you as it comes forward.  The tendancy is to extend it forward and bring it back then placing it down-- that will lead to leg strain of some sort.

Here is my advice for anyone thinking of going to a minimal shoe-- do so only if you change your focus on your stride.

First consider -- loosening your laces--  this will actually let you foot feel more "barefoot" and get stronger in time.

Also work on ankle flexibility.  Only once your foot learns to relax and droop with you stop dorsoflexing

Home Away From Home

I have yet to buy a dedicated racing shoe of sorts so I may consider these just to try out as a transition into the more minimal shoe. As Cremer said, if only for 5K-10K stuff, they would last a lot longer then my usual shoes since the mileage wil increase a lot slower. 

MM#5768

The tendancy is to extend it forward and bring it back then placing it down-- that will lead to leg strain of some sort.

leg strain like pullin hamstrings?

thanks guys.