Circle North

Logs (Read 418 times)

L Train

I need to go to Jim in Wells' house, apparently.

the 69 year old slowed his pace down and I sped mine up and off we went over the beach, on some trails and back to the dunes where I walked home while he finished with a couple of solo quick miles before meeting back here for some good beers I dug out of my treasure trove (Coal Porter, Cadillac Mountain Stout, Thunder Hole, Baltic Thunder and Arrogant Old Bastard) while we talked about New England running, the blues and how good life is in general.

That whole quote is just awesome. 

L Train

Cuch is riding her bike 50 mph for 100 miles and the Cat is in Aruba.  Up is down. 

L Train

Thanks for opening your log Rob_K.  Unlike Gadbois. Wink

gadman

Thanks for remembering my unimpressive unpublished log Lance.

Thanks for opening your log Rob_K.  Unlike Gadbois. Wink

Makes you wonder what he's hiding...

What was I chasing again?

All of us endurance idiots have that time when the body and the mind say screw this, give up, walk, stop and we have all learned to find that one stupid brain cell in our heads that tells keep going, don't give up, and suck it up you loser, pain is only temporary

Sailor. I like this.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Home Away From Home

All of us endurance idiots have that time when the body and the mind say screw this, give up, walk, stop and we have all learned to find that one stupid brain cell in our heads that tells keep going, don't give up, and suck it up you loser, pain is only temporary

Sailor. I like this.

Thanks Cremer, it is just how I felt and guess still do. It is that little voice that keeps me going on some days.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Home Away From Home

So I have come to conclusion while typing my log entries. It is easy to think that races are easy, it is only when you start training for them you realize how huge the mountain in front of you is. My body just can't double workouts 4 days a week. It can't take a 4hr 30 min, 70 mile bike ride yesterday and then a 13 mile long runin 95 degree heat so hot I leave wet shoe prints on the pavement the next day. I am just not that good.  I have no idea how people can do a full Ironman or a 100 mile Ultra.  I am at my max right now and failing miserably at it. I will run this race the best I know how but it will suck every which way sucking can suck. I guarentee that. 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

L Train

This sounds like the way you are supposed to feel under a full training load - grumpy, tired and generally shitty.  Racing is not training - you'll be fine on race day (as long as you don't go right over that edge like I think I did for Boston).  It's a fine line, but I really think you are going to surprise yourself.  Keep at it, don't waver now. 

Home Away From Home

This sounds like the way you are supposed to feel under a full training load - grumpy, tired and generally shitty.  Racing is not training - you'll be fine on race day (as long as you don't go right over that edge like I think I did for Boston).  It's a fine line, but I really think you are going to surprise yourself.  Keep at it, don't waver now. 

I am not waivering, I am just running zig-zag as there are days the body just doesn't want to go but I can make it go somewhat and then thre are days where the body just can't go even if I wanted it to. I agree with that fine line. Least after a 4-5 years of running I am pretty in tune with what I can handle and what will push to far, without that knowledge i would be screwed right now.

MM#5768

My salty dogs

I think you need to look at it as "play"  -- many of us work 10-12 hours day. Many of us spend 8-10 hours on doing yard work on a Saturday plus training.

Yes -- you will be tired as hell at the end of an Ironman but during it you will be having fun and getting to do what you love to do for the entire day.

Break it up and don't look at it as 13-15 hours of work.

You get to take a break between each event.  You get to eat. You can walk if you want to on the run and not feel bad about it.

It's just an awesome day outside doing what you love. 1st or finishing at 16:59:59 -- it doesn't matter.

Yeah- the last couple hours suck a bit -- but the last 5 minutes makes it all worth it and as you cross the line you hear what will forever be eteched in you brain and can never be taken away ".... You Are An IronMan!"

5 minutes later you will say "never again" but the next day  as you realize how good you body feels - you will want to do it again, swear you will change some things and come back.

Home Away From Home

I think you need to look at it as "play"  -- many of us work 10-12 hours day. Many of us spend 8-10 hours on doing yard work on a Saturday plus training.

Yes -- you will be tired as hell at the end of an Ironman but during it you will be having fun and getting to do what you love to do for the entire day.

Break it up and don't look at it as 13-15 hours of work.

You get to take a break between each event.  You get to eat. You can walk if you want to on the run and not feel bad about it.

It's just an awesome day outside doing what you love. 1st or finishing at 16:59:59 -- it doesn't matter.

Yeah- the last couple hours suck a bit -- but the last 5 minutes makes it all worth it and as you cross the line you hear what will forever be eteched in you brain and can never be taken away ".... You Are An IronMan!"

5 minutes later you will say "never again" but the next day  as you realize how good you body feels - you will want to do it again, swear you will change some things and come back.

Thakns for the positive support and good advice from someone who has done so much. I just have to break mine up and not look at it as 6-7 hours thank gosh.  I have to say "I am a Half Ironman" but your words still ring true nomatter the distance. I am sure I will enjoy it, I always do, I will bitch during and be tired but my one and only goal is FINISH, no matter how, whether I walk, run or crawl, just finish.

MM#5768

Bike: 144.7 mi

Run: 30.8 mi

Swim: 3 mi

= 178.5 total miles you self-propelled your body in one week. Granted, not all miles are created equal, but still. That's a pretty serious workload on top of your actual work workload. Not to mention what sounds like some ridiculous heat conditions. Cut yourself just a tiny bit of slack here, I'd say.

Then again, maybe you do just suck. Wink

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Home Away From Home

Then again, maybe you do just suck. Wink

You sound like Allycia, she was on the sideline at my first marathon and it was the home stretch and she yells stuff like "get your ass moving" "run faster" etc, this older lady turns to her and says "hey you can't talk to him lik ehtat he just ran 26 miles.  She replies, it is what he wants to hear, positive re-enforcement doesn't cut it.  You two are very similair.

MM#5768

Home Away From Home

So it has taken a week or so for me to get around to posting this but you all may have noticed that my log got a little weak last week. Well, on my thursday night group ride with the bike store I got initiated into the 30mph crash and slide across the road and down into a ditch club. No broken bones, just road rash and trashed shorts. Bike survived pretty well actually, get it back from the shop today.  Glad no traffic was coming when I slide across the other lane into the far ditch.  

MM#5768