Circle North

Interesting Running Geek Training Stuff (Read 112 times)

Here's a thread for stuff you see about training that you think is interesting, or has good ideas in it. I'll start it off with this, which I just read and liked a lot of...

http://www.letsrun.com/2005/jkfitness.php

So, if you read something interesting about training, steal it and put it here! Yay!

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

Trial and error indicates that actually hitting that high-end pace more than three times per week will expedite your fitness at a small cost to long-term development (this is also dependent upon how much higher-intensity work is being done concurrently). The take-home message in this is that if you are a newcomer to the sport or if you are younger than your prime racing years (25-35 years old for most long distance runners), you will be better served (at least from a statistical standpoint - obviously not everyone responds in exactly the same manner) by including more easy running in your base training regimen. If you are an older, experienced runner who is in (or past) your prime, you may be better served by running at least a portion of your runs near your maximum steady state more often (4-6 times per week).

Yowza.  This might support what McCullough has been doing.  I would surely break.  

The main part I found interesting was the description of how the progression runs should feel at the faster end of the workout. That almost floating feeling where you're working hard but not straining. Running fast but not killing yourself, and maybe really pushing hard only at the very end, if at all.

L Train

You and I have both referenced the feeling of body separating from legs, which is sort of how I pictured that part. 

Wanted to save this somewhere I could easily find it again, this seems like the appropriate thread for it. It's a quote from Jeff, a really fast guy that posts on RA a lot. It caught my eye just before I ran Baystate, and it stuck in my head. It helped a lot.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

L Train

Long but good.  Thanks.

Somebody was talking about this article on Tuesday. I think it's pretty accurate.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/of-machines-and-beasts

L Train

In general, I need more lizard-brain.  More beast, less machine.  At least on race-day.  And in this case, right around mile 16 or so is when I need to invoke my wonder-twin powers.

There have been too many instances of my rational brain winning out.

The machine is good for training, though.

This pretty much highlights how impossible it is to pick the "right" plan, but there's lots of good compare/contrast stuff...

http://www.runnersworld.com/racing/masterminding-the-marathon?cid=soc_Running%20Times%20Magazine%20-%20RunningTimesMagazine_FBPAGE_Runner%E2%80%99s%20World__MarathonTraining

Fro

Hmmm - was told something from my PT yesterday that rocked my thinking as to treating a soft tissue injury. I kinda knew about the adverse effects of NSADS and have stopped using them. But he told me not to ice an acute phase strain - that it did little to help me recover quicker and could, in fact slow it down - that compression was the more important action.

So I looked it up - interesting read for the next time you want to grab the ice pack for a strain....

http://physicaltherapyweb.com/paradigm-shifts-use-ice-nsaids-post-acute-soft-tissue-injuries-part-1-2/

Begs the question on PRICE in general then... "protection, rest, ice, compression, elevation"

Rest and Protection are encouraged by pain and swelling... ie the body's way of saying damn, stay off it.

The article in my opinion just focus's mainly on ICE not being beneficial vs compression or elevation impact to the wound.

You might even theorize that ICE / NSADS(NSAIDS) / Compression also "fiddle with" the bodies natural reactions and might also be not beneficial.

Seems like to me it always comes back to if it hurts, the best thing you can do is stay the hell off it and let nature take its course.

What was I chasing again?

Fro

Yeah - then there is the camp of the active recovery folks - which my PT and Chiro both preach.... Don't stay the hell off it, but stay active in smart ways that engage the tissue and supporting tissues - not just wait it out and let the tissues rest.

http://www.caringmedical.com/sports-injuries/rice-why-we-do-not-recommend-it/

Man, I am completely on board with this method as it seems to have helped my stupid crap. The one time I just sat it out, my issue took 14 weeks to heal and i wonder if I knew better it would have been much shorter....

Stuff to ponder - I find it interesting that the above link mentioned the use of nsads - not sure about that one.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/11/training/workout-week-5-go-tempo_110887

Interesting. Saving for later. The double version looks rugged.

Fro

Yup - think my legs would fall off right now if I attempted that one. Interesting for sure.