Circle North

The Scorpsie thread (Read 331 times)

It's been cool to see you and Dianne beaming with pride and this is a huge accomplishment. I've always loved that kid because he's so amped to kick ass on the soccer field, and listen to his coaches (how can I refer to myself as a soccer coach when I'd don't know anything about it but to apply basketball logic). Maybe the fact that he is so good to Connor makes me a little biased but the kid is a dream. So happy for him.
    L Train

FYI, there have been adjustments made all the way through in the plan.  Nothing huge but tweaks, mostly to do with pacing rather than mileage.  Can't believe there's only 2 months to go. 

Really you just need to look at getting to about September 9th or so, which means you only really have about 5 1/2 weeks of real work. 

I just updated my dry erase board in my office to 67 days.  Time flies.  Most of the updates seem good and I think yesterday's tempo run gave me a little more confidence of going faster for longer.  The 7 @ 7:50 and 5 @ 7:25 got my attention a little bit (although the 5 miler isn't much different than Tuesday's run).  I've got some travel coming up so I may move some track workouts around a little bit.    The next 5 weeks will give us a better indication of what the goal pace should be.  Thanks for the updates and enjoy vacation. 

Just checked in on you, you've got a lot of good steady consistent work going on. Solid progress happening. Very nice.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Thanks Greg.  I guess I've proven than I can follow a plan if it's spoon feed to me like a sheep.   Gonna need to pick some brains about what's next after this is all over and want to connect with you about what you've been doing.  Looks like mostly lots and lots of miles.  Read the 2010 Bay State recap last night after checking out your last few months.  Very cool.  Wish more people added the narrative of the workouts/races. 

L Train

Two things I thought about today while running.  There are proponents of running 22-24 miles at least once before the marathon.  Our own Saltydog is among them.  I'm not a proponent for most of us really because I'm in the camp of those that beieve that running for more than 3 hours the risk curve is parabolic relative to the potential reward. 

That said, there can be a real mental benefit to it.  We could incorporate it if you think you need it -let me know. 

Also, with this 20 coming up and other long runs - at some point you need to experiment with Gu or egels or whatever.  Differing opinions on this, but I try not to train with them because I want my body to learn to eat itself.  But I do race with them.  And to do that you need to find something that agrees with you.  I like Gu.  You can pick a few up at Olympia and then you can buy them in quantity on line. 

You'd take them every 45 minutes or so, I take one avery 4-6 miles in a marathon. 

Home Away From Home

I agree with L-Trains thoughts on training your stomach, I like the GU brand as well but there are some of those I don't handle well even so I have only certain flavors I will race with.

I tend to only partially agree with the over 22-24 is increase in injury, I think this is due to how hard you are pushing, if you going 22 -24 you should be going slow, slow reduces injury, fast increases injury. 

What I think the big benefit of the longer + runs is the convidence.  Sure if you can run 20 you can run 26.  But sometimes there is some real suffering taking place between 22 to 26 or 21-26 or even 24-26 depending in the race and how you feel that day. Being able to say you have experienced and pushed through it gives you that mental edge on race day, Been there, Done that, now lets go get that finisher metal.

My 2cents, gotta go to work now.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Thanks guys. If the knee holds up I'll definitely consider it. I think the mental part of it is a huge benefit to a person who hasn't run 20 + very much. Will experiment with gu on Sunday....and bring some tp just in case.

Home Away From Home

The vanilla in my opinion is the best for race day. I cam handle the fruity flavors on training runs, can't do the espresso at any time.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Picked up a new pair of Asics GT2170s after about 370 miles or so with Gel Keyanos.  Loved those shoees and they took a beating with the heat and rain but held up well.  Wore the new kicks this am and the extra width felt great (2e).  Also picked up some Vanilla gu per Sailor's recommendation and some sport beans (based on my history with swedish fish and gummy worms - my stomach tends to handle that stuff well).  Will experiment a little next weekend with the 18 miles of hills.

Home Away From Home

and some sport beans (based on my history with swedish fish and gummy worms - my stomach tends to handle that stuff well). 

I like jelly beans to, easy to carry and bite size, just enough to take away the dry mouth and give a touch of sugar.

MM#5768

L Train

What up with today's run?  Have you decided against running a marathon after all?

Harvard Pilgrim 5k tonight. Took some chances out of the gate with a 6:24 first mile, followed by a 6:40, and then about a 7:10. My watch said 21:22 but the official time will be slower. Should have stayed @ 645s to break 21 but I thought I would go harder out of the gate. A good little test and fun run around the back cove.
                            L Train

Ah yes of course.  Learning where that redline is on a 5K is a really tough thing.  Still, even with the fade, a good race overall. 

Can you change your avatar back to L train. The current image is making me uncomfortable. Is the no drinking making you creepy?