Circle North

The Scorpsie thread (Read 331 times)

L Train

Can you change your avatar back to L train. The current image is making me uncomfortable. Is the no drinking making you creepy?

You never played Mike Tyson "Punch Out"?

OK, I've now changed back into a brick wall, which is fitting.

The vanilla in my opinion is the best for race day. I cam handle the fruity flavors on training runs, can't do the espresso at any time.

Good call here Sailor.  I actually had 2 vanilla GUs on Sunday's long run and it worked out fine with no stomach issues.  The taste was somewhere between gross and wanting seconds.  I'm also a big fan of the fruit flavored jelly beans but they're a little bulkier to carry. 

Home Away From Home

Glad I was able to over you something that worked out.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

L Train

Hello?  McFly?  Where's the workout?

Why don't you make like a tree....and get out of here.

Love the BTTF reference. Classic.

L Train

Someday, going back and looking at this progression is gonna be fun. 

So you've done the training cycle, you've hit the taper, all systems seem to be go. I'm wondering, has the goal time changed since the training seems to have gone so well?

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

The goal time has been moved to break 4 hrs. We talked about moving the bar again but figured it would be better to keep the goal realistic. Weird to think after all this time the race is 17 days away
                    L Train

Actually, from my view, "realistic" isn't the right term. 

I'll just say first that what he's done has been amazing to me.  Every run, every workout, every everything has been exactly what I laid out.  That's a little scary to me, because who knows if I laid out the right stuff?  It's not exactly like I've had a stellar marathoning career.  Plus it was tough to know Steve's strengths/weaknesses, etc.  so it was something that had to be adjusted a little as we went. 

The biggest obvious things were that Steve had never run real mileage, specifically weekly mileage, and that he trained too fast.  He would go through cycles of training fast building the long run, running 4-5 days/week maybe, hurting himself, starting over.  And the lack of weekly mileage hurt his strength in his last marathon. 

So this plan was all about increasing the weekly miles in a smart way.  Miles build strength.  Progressively long tempo runs were the other key, as they also build strength (and probably a matter of personal preference because my body responds well to them).  Intervals were there too, but for the most part those were a red herring, a mental distraction to keep Steve interested.  He looked forward to those every week.  But if there was a part to be dropped that would have had no impact, it would be those.  Those did serve to try to get him to his other goal, though, which was the <21 5K, which I think he will still achieve this year.   We also had 2 days of rest per week to manage the knee and family life.

The taper is cutting mileage but keeping some intensity.  He should be cutting calories a bit (but not much) to offset the lack of running.  Hopefully, he starts champing at the bit, feeling antsy, feeling like he has an overwhelming urge to just go run fast.  Hopefully he doesn't give in to that urge except at prescribed times. 

For the record, I think Steve has a decent shot if he were to go for 3:45.  That's a huge jump from 4:30, and I guess really a huge jump from 4:00.  But I think if he were to approach this as a race where he was going to ride the line and see what happens, that would be a realistic target. 

But for many reasons, I've discouraged this.  Given the 4:30 original goal, 4:00 (well let's face it 3:59:--) is fantastic, and it's a number he can be really happy with.  It also leaves room for the next one to be better.  He can take what he's learned and apply thius to his next training cycle.  He also has a tendency towards overachievement, which in most cases is great but in this could kill him.  If he goes out going for 3:45 I have no doubt he'd end up pacing at 3:39 or somesuch and really risk a bad experience. 

Also, let's clarify - the goal is 9:00 pace through 13.1 miles.  Then pick up oh so slightly at that point, but no faster than 8:50 until 20 miles.  That would put him around 2:57.  Then he's got 6.2 miles on his own at whetever pace he thinks he can maintain.  If it's me, I break that down into three chunks; 20-23, 23-25 and 25+.  On a perfect day he will be able to pick up pace slightly at each of those, and after 25 it's go time. 

The key is to get to 20 feeling fresh.  I want him to have the experience of feeling "wow, I just ran 20 miles? I feel strong" at mile 20.  Passing people, feeling good, watching the carnage around him and being above it.  Absolutely KNOWING he will meet his goal.  Realizing that all the work, all the early mornings, all the sweat and the knee pain and the family bargaining that had to take place were all worth it. 

It's going to be awesome.

MTA: I think this may be sympathetic tweaking. 

Why does this sound/feel like the finish at Cape Ann all over again. 

L Train

You got it.  If I'm not there, you can imagine me yelling at you that you are about to get geezered and chicked at the same time. 

L Train

Signed up for runner tracking. 

L Train

Water on Saturday, slowly and frequently through the day.  Good carb meal, but not TOO much food.  Try to get a really good sleep TONIGHT (Friday).  You know yopur body.  Nothing that won't agree with it and cause a pit stop.  Light breakfast.  I like pbj the moring of a marathon. 

I'd carry 5 Gus and plan to take them every 5 miles or so.  But I know you have your own thing.  Just have a plan. 

I err on the side of underdressing.  If it's cold and I'm worried about it, I use old socks with feet cut out as armwarmers (I know it looks dorky) and also old socks for mittens.  I can toss either easily after I warm up. 

However, make sure you have a drop bag and a plan to get warm very quickly upon completion .  If you are at all like me, you'll get cold quickly.  This could last several hours.  More as I think of it and others are welcome to chime in. 

L Train

Also, if you are in the early miles and those 9:00s do not feel comfortable and relaxed (meaning it's almost painful because it's too slow as you have alluded to a few times) it's OK to open up a bit, as long as you are really honest with yourself about what feels easy.  You should be able to maintain a conversation with someone next to you for sure through half.  Breathing should be controlled, never labored.  This really should be how it is until 20. 

If the wheels start to come off at all around mile 15-18, don't panic.  This is completely normal.  I've been victim to this before and it's just stupid.  Whatever bad patch you are feeling will pass, just don't panic and give in to it.  Take it in small chunks, mile by mile, try not to get carried away.  Breaking the whole race into half, then 20 then 24 then 26.2 is also helpful (to me).