Circle North

NYC Marathon (Read 203 times)

GregM

Canceled my flight into the city on Thursday because no power, heat, or running water in my son's apartment in lower Manhattan.  Still haven't decided whether to run.  In case I do run, here's my bib number for those interested in tracking my progress: 5433.  Here is the link:  http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/trackmyrunner.htm

Here is an excerpt:

TrackMyRunners via Web

On race day, domestic and international spectators will be able to track up to five runners simultaneously on the web. No pre-registration is required, and the service is free. Available on race morning.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

L Train

It's actually starting to sound more and more UNSAFE to run, if you believe some of what you are hearing about how angry New Yorkers are towards the runners. 

Breaking news: NYC marathon cancelled!

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

sometimes...the best decisions made, are the ones made for you.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

"Beep, Beep!"

NYC Marathon canceled
              http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/02/us/new-york-marathon-race/index.html

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

GregM

sometimes...the best decisions made, are the ones made for you.

Yes, this was actually quite a relief.

GregM

It's actually starting to sound more and more UNSAFE to run, if you believe some of what you are hearing about how angry New Yorkers are towards the runners. 

I hadn't heard that, but I'm not surprised.  Canceling the marathon was definitely the right thing to do.  Too bad it took the Major and the New York Road Runners so long to figure this out.

GregM

Breaking news: NYC marathon cancelled!

Now I wish I were signed up for Philly.  I think I've decided to do the Phoenix Rock N Roll Marathon on Martin Luther King Day in January.  Anyone interested?  Tall Dave?

Home Away From Home

Sorry to hear this after all your hard training.  There is always Manchester, NH tomorrow morning, I'll be there. 

MTA: Just came from packet pick-up and they are accepting NYC marathon folks into this one Greg. Consider it.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

GregM

I was at Middlebury College in Vermont this weekend for the NESCAC field hockey championship, and very glad I made it even though Bowdoin lost in the conference final in triple overtime on Sunday after defeating Tufts 4-1 in their semi-final game on Saturday.

Otherwise, I probably would have joined you, Michael. 

GregM

Subject: The 2012 ING New York City Marathon is Canceled
                          Date: 11/3/2012 11:51 AM
                          To: " <greg@sanfordlaw.com>

New York Road Runners: A Message About Marathon

It is with heavy hearts that we share the news that the 2012 ING New York City Marathon has been canceled.

The decision was made after it became increasingly apparent that the people of our city and the surrounding tri-state area were still struggling to recover from the damage wrought by the recent extreme weather conditions. That struggle, fueled by the resulting extensive and growing media coverage antagonistic to the marathon and its participants, created conditions that raised concern for the safety of both those working to produce the event and its participants. While holding the race would not have required diverting resources from the recovery effort, it became clear that the apparent widespread perception to the contrary had become the source of controversy and division. Neither NYRR nor the City could allow a controversy over the marathon to result in a dangerous situation or to distract attention from all the critically important work that is being done to help New York City recover from the storm. 

NYRR, in partnership with the Rudin Family and the ING Foundation, has established the "Race to Recover" Marathon Fund to aid New Yorkers impacted by the storm. Over $2.6 million has been raised, including a $1 million donation by NYRR. We are asking you to join us by making a $26.20 donation, or whatever you can afford, to help bring recovery and hope to those communities and families most affected. Proceeds will go to Hurricane Sandy Relief, administered by the Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City. You can also donate to the relief effort through NYRR's fundraising platform, CrowdRise, which includes the American Red Cross and other charities.

NYRR will redeploy the marathon resources and materials toward the recovery effort. We will share the details of this project as they are finalized in the days ahead.

We all recognize this has been a very challenging time in New York City that has impacted so many people, including you, our runners. Please know that this is one of the toughest decisions we have ever made, and that we deeply appreciate your support.

RUN FOR LIFE.

This e-mail was sent by New York Road Runners, whose premier event is the ING New York City Marathon. To ensure future delivery of NYRR e-mails, please make sure this e-mail address is added to your safe sender list. To unsubscribe from future mailings, click here. Message ID: 32499843.

Copyright © 2012 New York Road Runners, 9 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128.

L Train

The way they handled the whole thing was a disaster, IMO.  And I find these statements so contradictory, it's almost funny:

While holding the race would not have required diverting resources from the recovery effort, it became clear that the apparent widespread perception to the contrary had become the source of controversy and division.

NYRR will redeploy the marathon resources and materials toward the recovery effort.

I guess the distinction is between "diverting" and "redeploying" but still.

I of course feel badly for the victims and families, but I also feel badly for the people who were strung along to fly into the city only to find out there was no race and oh, by the way, you also don't get your hotel room. 

it was a conspiracy to get all the marathon people into ny to help with the effort for free. open your eyes. 

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

GregM

New York Road Runners: A Message About Marathon

Dear Runners,

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this difficult time in New York City. The cancellation of this year's marathon was an unprecedented event, which we know has left many unanswered questions for all of you.

Please know that our priority is to address your concerns. We ask that you give us a little time to work out the details and make thoughtful decisions. We are very grateful for your continued patience.

We will do all that we can to have these issues sorted out in the coming weeks.

Thank you,
                                New York Road Runners

RUN FOR LIFE.

This e-mail was sent by New York Road Runners, whose premier event is the ING New York City Marathon. To ensure future delivery of NYRR e-mails, please make sure this e-mail address is added to your safe sender list. To unsubscribe from future mailings, click here. Message ID: 32347119.

Copyright © 2012 New York Road Runners, 9 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128.