Circle North

Beer & Marathon Running (Read 152 times)

Can Beer Improve Your Run Time? Smile

Going out to get more beer... I training for a marathon here.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Can-Beer-Improve-Your-Run-Time.htm?cmp=291&memberid=107719313&lyrisid=22643788

The study titled "Be-MaGIC" (Beer, Marathons, Genetics, Inflammation and the Cardiovascular system) was led by Dr. Johannes Scherr and followed 277 participants three weeks before and two weeks after the 2009 Munich Marathon. The study was focused on the effects of the rich and varied polyphenols found in wheat beer—a type of beer popular with marathoners and triathletes.

The participants were separated into two groups, the beer drinkers and the abstainers. The beer drinkers drank up to 1.5 liters of the non-alcoholic wheat beer each day, while the abstainers drank an identical amount of a placebo drink. The placebo drink looked, smelled and tasted like the wheat beer, but it lacked the polyphenols found in the true non-alcoholic beverage.

Researchers found that marathon runners experience an inflammatory response after running a marathon. This is due to the increased stress placed on the body when competing in such a strenuous event.

The inflammatory response causes the immune system to be suppressed temporarily, leading to an "open window" for cold viruses and other illnesses to get through. Researchers found that the beer drinking participants experienced a less pronounced immune response, and as a result, experienced fewer illnesses and infections than the abstainers.

What was I chasing again?

Rob - You need to share this kind of info with me. 

L TRAIN - Why...why WHYYYYYYYYY????!!!!!!!!!!

The participants were separated into two groups, the beer drinkers and the abstainers. The beer drinkers drank up to 1.5 liters of the non-alcoholic wheat beer each day, while the abstainers drank an identical amount of a placebo drink. The placebo drink looked, smelled and tasted like the wheat beer, but it lacked the polyphenols found in the true non-alcoholic beverage.

Or, you could kiss your sister. 

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

This is sort of a strange article - it's titled "can it improve your time" but the conclusion seems to have nothing to do with time and everything to do with whether I will catch a cold after the marathon.  Who the hell cares about that?

L Train

Heh.  I didn't even notice that in neither case were they actually drinking beer.  Plus it was wheat non-beer.  Gross.

Like most things... maybe it is all in your head.  Time for me to go have another beer. My pizza just got here.

What was I chasing again?