Circle North

Workouts, schedule, etc. (Read 807 times)

L Train

Place to accumulate some random thoughts, maybe put them in order later.

Strength routine

L Train

L Train

Base building:

Sunday:        LR 10-15; every other has a workout in it

Monday:        Easy 5-7

Tuesday:      Easy 5-7   

Wednesday: Easy 4 or off

Thursday:     Hard (workout) 7-12

Friday:            Easy 5-7

Saturday:       Easy 5-7

Weekly miles Jan-Feb and May-June: 41-60  

This builds to this as goal race approaches (March-April and July-September):

Sunday:    LR 15-22; 2 of 3 have a workout ion them 

Monday:    Easy 7-9

Tuesday:   Easy 4, Moderate 7-9 (Double) 

Wednesday: Easy 4 or off

Thursday:    Hard (workout)10-15

Friday:        Easy 7-9

Saturday:    Easy 5-7 most weeks.  At peak, a moderate to hard 7-10 so that I am spent before the 

Sunday long run.

Mileage when trying to peak: 60-80.

None of this is for crap if I can't also get my weight to 165. 

Many easy runs, unless they are recovery, will be run harder than last year.  Lots of slow running has made me, well, slightly faster than slow.  I get the point, try not to break yourself, run easy to prep for hard efforts, but I think l I can put more into more of my runs and still be OK.  The miles I've accumulated over the last two years afford me that risk.  I need to get to the point where 7:00 pace is not 10K effort, but somewhere between HM and MP effort.

L Train

Above workouts, in some semblance of an order I can reference:

Long run workouts, can be done anytime it's not a step up in distance:

WU 10-14 miles then 5x5 minutes @ perceived 5k pace - 1/2 to 1 mile cool down

WU  8-18 miles and then some LAT pace workout - As easy as 20 minutes @ T, as hard as 2x5 miles @T (Most likely 20-25 minutes @ T or 4x2 miles @ T) 

WU 10-15 miles then repeat 10-15 x 1 or 2 minutes really fast with equal recoveries

4-6 mile tempo at HM pace, alternate with 8-10 at MP, every other week

A 13 mile run over rolling terrain, with a progression run in the last 4 miles, moving down toward HM pace or maybe even faster for the last mile.

progression runs, fast finish runs

3 mi Easy, 4 x 1 mi  Tempo w/ 1 min recovery, 8 mi Easy, 3 mi Tempo, 1.5 mi Easy (from negativesplit 2/6/11)

Workouts as part of mid week run (tempo):

3-4 X 2 @ HM

6 X 2 @ HM (late in cycle)

(1) 10 mile steady run, starting out about MP+30 and finishing at MP-15, averaging somewhere close to MP.

4-6 mile tempo at HM pace, alternate with 8-10 at MP, every other week 

Workouts as part of mid week run (interval on the roads):

Hill charges. Once or twice a week, in the middle of my easy run. 6 x 10-12 seconds

4mi @ MP, 4min rec, 3mi @ HMP, 3mi rec, 2mi @ HMP minus 10sec, 2 min rec, 1mi @ HMP minus 20sec

3mi @ HMP, 3min rec, 2mi @ goal 10k pace, 2min rec, 1mi @ current 5k pace, 1 min rec, 0.5mi @ goal 5k pace

(1) 3 x 2mi @ goal 10k pace w/ 2min rec

10 miles with 20 minutes easy,  8 x 2 minutes on / 1 minute off, 10 minutes easy, 4 x 30 seconds FAST / 1 minute off, jog home.

(1) 8 x 2 minutes on / 1 minute off where on is about 10k pace and off is easy pace.

3 x 8 minutes on / 3 minutes off where on is maybe 10 mile to HM pace and off is easy.

Workouts as part of mid week run (track):

(1) 8 x 800 @ 5k pace w/90s rest.

3 mile warmup with strides, 6 x 1000m at 10k pace / jog 200, 2 laps easy, 4 x 30 second hill charges balls out, 4 mile jog home ~ 11-12 total.

5 x 1 mile or 4 x 2000m at ~ 15k race pace.

6 x 1000m @ 10k - 15k pace / jog 200

4 x 1 mile @ 10k -15k pace / jog 400

From Jim Howe (through BadDawg) on how to improve 5K race times:

The next thing would be to a add a weekly track workout. It doesn't have to be a ****buster either...I'd say that 5 x 1K at about 8-10 seconds per mile slower than your current 5k race would do just fine. Take a half lap recovery jog between each rep. If you are real consistent, religiously doing them every week, you will see measurable results. You can rotate between those, 800's, and 1200's if you want. Just do about 3 miles worth of each. A lot of people will tell you to run them harder, do 400's and a lot of other stuff, but I can tell by your PR's that endurance/threshold work is what you need most at this stage. Running your intervals a little slower and taking a short recovery will boost your lactate threshold if you keep doing them. You should also be able to recover from them quite easily.

After any of the above workouts, finish with something fast, like 4 x 30 seconds at ~ mile race pace

with full recoveries or if on the track 4 x 200m / slow jog a 200. 

If I ever really feel like killing myself while focusing on shorter distance, per Dickey:

1. this is something i did a lot in high school and i ran my best high school 1600 with this as my primary workout:  2x (4x400) @ 2-4 seconds faster (per 400) than mile pace with 1:30-2:00 rest.  10 min set break, jogging 5-7 minutes of the rest.  

2. 6x 600 @ mile pace with 2:00-2:30 rest

3. 3 x(800-400-200-600) @ 3k-5k pace, mile pace, 800 pace, 3k-5k pace respectively.  60-90 seconds between each rep, with 4:00 set break.

4. 3x (800,400) @ 3 seconds per 400 faster than 3k pace for the 800, and the 400 at mile pace. 60 seconds between the 800 and 400.  4:00 set break.

5.  i like to throw in some 3k pace stuff, just because it's still fast and can still be considered strength work, so something like 5x1000 with 2:30-3:00 rest @ 3k pace

6. a peaking workout to do the week of (2-3 days before) the race/time-trial: 4x400@ mile pace, 2x200 1-2 seconds faster per 400.  90 seconds between each rep.

For next time I want to ramp up:

1. Get healthy and feel fresh legs.

2. Build mileage back to about ~80% of where you want to peak for the marathon (65-70 mpw maybe), pretty much easy  mileage with maybe some strides once in a while but nothing more.

3. Once you are handling the mileage load well, begin doing 2 non-killer workouts a week consisting of:

a. short hill repeats, strides, short repeats on the track, or drills,

AND

b. long hill repeats, tempo runs, longish (90-120 minute) runs with fast finish, or long intervals on the roads.

These workouts should not be gut-busing efforts but should be reasonably hard.  You should finish feeling like you could have done more.

4. Race every 2 weeks at 5k to 5 mi. (a race takes the place of one of the workouts above from (b) for that week.  The races are all-out efforts but you don't taper for them or make any real adjustments in training.

Continue doing 3 and 4 through the end of July/first week in August.  At that point you ramp your mileage slightly and focus more on longer, marathon type workouts.  Most of the increase in mileage will simply come from your long runs being longer.  This will feel like an easy transition and at first you will feel like you're not doing enough, you'll be champing at the bit to do more...that is until September when you want to start dropping the big hammers.

It takes 8-10 weeks to train for a marathon if you've got the base running fitness.  No more.  3 and 4 will get you the base running fitness then August and September are for sharpening the sword.

My salty dogs

Run-- rest-- run--run-- rest--run--rest-- repeat

Rest days are equally important as runs.  Recovery is key to improvement.  On rest days-- do non running cross-training activities.

Just a random thought!

L Train

I have a rest day scheduled today with a 7 mile 9+ minute pace planned.

"Beep, Beep!"

Hey Salty are XC skiing this weekend?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

Kinda last minute, I know, but I'm planning on doing 10 this afternoon at 3 if anybody's interested in joining in. Time and route flexible, but I'm thinking maybe to the end of Gebung and back from the Y. I'll check back here before I head out.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

Is anyone checking out rcuch's log?  Damn.

Is anyone checking out rcuch's log?  Damn.

shhhhhhhh. hey while i'm here, i want to try randall's road - hansons ridge? how is it going up that bad boy? should i drive somewhere and park so i don't have to run up my hill after? i don't want to die. oh and i love rocky!

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

L Train

That's an awesome road to train on.

I have an 8 mile loop I do up Oak street and across the ridge past Bob's coming back down to 109 and going home. 

Actually, I'm planning a hilly long run that I was going to leave for in about 30 minutes if you wanted to come along (though in total it's likely more than you are looking for).  I'm going a different way but would get you the same effect.  I think my first loop is about 10 miles, and then I'll be coming back up Hanson's Ridge, cross 11A then back down past MacDougal Orchards and all the way back into town at home.

If you were on Hanson's Ridge arond 11:15-11:45 I bet we would cross paths somewhere. 

If you want to run Hanson's Ridge alone and want someplace to park, you can always park here.  5 Bradeen Street, you can park in the driveway.

That's an awesome road to train on.

I have an 8 mile loop I do up Oak street and across the ridge past Bob's coming back down to 109 and going home. 

Actually, I'm planning a hilly long run that I was going to leave for in about 30 minutes if you wanted to come along (though in total it's likely more than you are looking for).  I'm going a different way but would get you the same effect.  I think my first loop is about 10 miles, and then I'll be coming back up Hanson's Ridge, cross 11A then back down past MacDougal Orchards and all the way back into town at home.

If you were on Hanson's Ridge arond 11:15-11:45 I bet we would cross paths somewhere. 

If you want to run Hanson's Ridge alone and want someplace to park, you can always park here.  5 Bradeen Street, you can park in the driveway.

thinking................if i see ya, i see ya. if not, have a great one. be safe.

L Train

OK. 

And running the Ridge is 3 big hills if you do it from down here.  First is the one that's 1 mile long up Oak Street just to get to the Ridge.  Then you go down a steep hill and up the second, less steep but just as long.  Then up a third (Bob's), even less steep and shorter.  Then it's pretty much down to 109 and then back.  Just FYI for plannng. 

thanks for your help. i may try this next week as i have signed up for the meat grinder on sunday. hope they don't cancel this one now too - rain? oh and are you going to make it on the 28th? looks like your all set with hammy or am i wrong? i think your gone, but anyway go do your thing.

OK. 

And running the Ridge is 3 big hills if you do it from down here.  First is the one that's 1 mile long up Oak Street just to get to the Ridge.  Then you go down a steep hill and up the second, less steep but just as long.  Then up a third (Bob's), even less steep and shorter.  Then it's pretty much down to 109 and then back.  Just FYI for plannng. 

i don't know why i'm balking on this but this may have to wait another week. i'm seeing a potential........nevermind.