Circle North

Sugarloaf Marathon (Read 391 times)

"Beep, Beep!"

Ok, so who's in? What are people doing about getting there.You have to be in Kingfield by 5:30 to catch bus to start? Anyone staying over the night before?

from Salty - Hell yes!!!!  Expect a PR if you recover and put 1-2 more long runs in.   In 04 and 05 due to the heat at Boston I was 20 and then 10 minutes slower than I was targeting. (it wasn't as hot as 2012) At the time -- SL gave me PRs.    With the tough part early -- you can count on negative splits unless you really fad near the end.  Because you ran Boston and are still fresh - there is enough time to recover.  If you had ran hard at Boston I would have said your legs would end up giving out between mile 19 and 22.  Normally there isn't enough time for a full recovery and 1 or 2 more long runs for your legs to bounce back.  Repeating what you did at Boston would be a normal goal -- this year -- it's an opportunity to kick ass.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

In

I'm staying at a Cabin on Embden Pond (about 20-30 mins from Kingfield) on that Fri and Saturday night with Pam and the Boys.

Planning on getting dropped off at the start Sunday Morning.

I'm in as well...  Staying at Sugarloaf Mountain Hotel.

Wife and I are going up Friday afternoon / evening.

I believe Noel & Hubby Mike, along with Sailor are already registered as well.

I believe Mark and his daughter (who's name eludes me at the moment are going as well.)

What was I chasing again?

Home Away From Home

I'm in as well...  Staying at Sugarloaf Mountain Hotel.

Wife and I are going up Friday afternoon / evening.

I believe Noel & Hubby Mike, along with Sailor are already registered as well.

I believe Mark and his daughter (who's name eludes me at the moment are going as well.)

I am confirming I am in, Allycia is going as well.  No reservations as of yet, need to get home from this trip and start looking at that, we are thinking a room if we can find one still avaliable or dropping a tent somewhere as back-up.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

IF you'd rather wait till the  Weather's cool ? Train in the heat,  then race in the Cool !

Will be training ,starting 1st week  August  and running Cape Cod 26.2

for the WCRC , last weekend in October.

1st 26.2 since 2010 Baystate , 10 weeks training ,2 weeks rest.

IF anyone is interested ,will be WCRC usatf-ne team race, race fee reimbursed !   

Getting rooms for the weekend !   JW

GregM

Go for it, Dave!  Looks like I may be moving my youngest out of her college dorm that weekend, so I can't plan on it.  I'm also thinking I might want to run Big Lake in Alton Bay, NH, which may be the weekend before.  If it turns out I am available, I might jump in at the last minute, but I'm not sure I would do the full if I do a half the week before.  I would like to go up for Sugarloaf, Dave, because my friend, Calvin Conner, whom you met in NYC, is planning to run it.  But it's a virtual certainty that I will be busy all day Saturday moving furniture and things from Brunswick.  Good luck whatever you decide.  Hope to see you this Tuesday.  Missed you last.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

L Train

IF you'd rather wait till the  Weather's cool ? Train in the heat,  then race in the Cool !

Will be training ,starting 1st week  August  and running Cape Cod 26.2

for the WCRC , last weekend in October.

1st 26.2 since 2010 Baystate , 10 weeks training ,2 weeks rest.

IF anyone is interested ,will be WCRC usatf-ne team race, race fee reimbursed !   

Getting rooms for the weekend !   JW

Hey Cremer, this could be a good backup plan for Baystate.  Though I think it's the same as Ghost Train. 

Go get em, mancub, I look forward to seeing it.  And from looking at the Rag, looks like you've been racing pretty well. 

"Beep, Beep!"

OK... I may regret this, but I'm IN! Will the Wellesley girls be there to cheer me on?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

OK... I may regret this, but I'm IN! Will the Wellesley girls be there to cheer me on?

Yes, another loafer !!!

sailah makes a sale. Wink

good for you dave! 

so can we @ home follow all the action for you all on race day or is this "wait for results" old school? 

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

"Beep, Beep!"

Good mile by mile log of Sugarloaf Marathon, Intersting and helpful strategies. Written by Judson Cake - 2:24 in 2007!!!
                        Here

My salty dogs

Good mile by mile log of Sugarloaf Marathon, Intersting and helpful strategies. Written by Judson Cake - 2:24 in 2007!!!
                          Here

Can't emphaze this enough:

The main problem is the slant in the road and the toll this takes on your muscles of the right leg. You are used to running against traffic where the slant is forcing you slightly to your left. Here, you are forced to run on the right and the slant at Sugarloaf on route 27 is a lot worse than most roads and I've had some problems in the past both on the 15-k and marathon course. You've got two solutions. One is to run in the middle of the road. By doing this the road is flatter, but the course is also measured on the far right side, so running in the middle will add on distance to your race.

J. Cake

so can we @ home follow all the action for you all on race day or is this "wait for results" old school? 

I think we non-loafers need to talk somebody's spouse or significant other into texting us some live reports. I also think we should do a BSG (or maybe Publick House) SL sendoff night on the 15'th.

This has been "Some Things Greg Thinks". We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast. 

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I think we non-loafers need to talk somebody's spouse or significant other into texting us some live reports. I also think we should do a BSG (or maybe Publick House) SL sendoff night on the 15'th.

This has been "Some Things Greg Thinks". We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast. 

Someone drink a beer for me.  I'll be stuck on a plane returning from a business meeting in Dallas.  I'll be there in spirit.

What was I chasing again?

"Beep, Beep!"

Will do Rob... we'll be there in "spirits!"