Circle North

Running Shoes Reviewed (Read 13 times)

"Beep, Beep!"

CN'ers What running shoes are you running in now? Do you like them? Good, Bad?

Have you seen this site? One of the best for comparing running shoes and getting honest reviews.

http://runrepeat.com

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

"Beep, Beep!"

Currently running in Saucony Cortana 4's. 4 mm drop and light weight. Changed to these for the past 4 marathons after running in Kinvaras for several years. A little more cushioning. Considering trying something new? Why not?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

I've been running in the Asics GT2000 series basically since I started a bit more than 4 years ago.  I've tried several other brands (always support shoes) and have gotten hurt in them.  So now, I've had about 12 pairs of these so far and wore them in all of my marathons.  I don't dare to wear anything else.  They only got a score of 87 but most of the negatives are price and weight.  I usually pay $60 or less for mine on clearance so that is not a concern and I would expect a support shoe to be a little on the heavier side.

Fro

With Egad on this - played around with some Hoka Odyssey  v1 - but my feet have not responded well to them. Sticking with old faithful - haven't had any major issues with them - Brooks Gylcerin for me.

"Beep, Beep!"

Thanks Egad and Fro... Anyone else care to chime in?

L Train

Right now I rotate between Brooks Launch, Kinvara and Hoka One Clifton.  The Hokas are my trail shoe and I love them, specifically because I have completely flat feet which have always caused me a lot of problems in general but on the trails any rocks kill my arches.  The Hoka sole cushions all of that.  The Kinvaras are a shoe that I used to like but had sort of forgotten about, and are meant to be my "fast" shoe at this point though I'm not running fast.  The Launch's are my "base" shoe for long runs, though I'm not really running long either.

When I ran more my favorite shoe was Saucony Fasttwitch for workouts and races.

In general I'm a believer in rotating 2 to usually 3 pairs of shoes, all different.  Somewhere along the line I was convinced that this helped keep me from getting injured and helped me adapt slightly  by not letting me get into a complete rut.   I think that was probably more important when I was running more, I think I could probably just use one shoe now and be fine.  Well, one pair of shoes.

"Beep, Beep!"

Kinvaras were my favorite for many years and used them in several marathons. When I started having knee issues I switched to the Curtanas for a little more cushioning. I have a brand new pair sitting my closet that I'd like to get out and try again. I am hoping to do a lot more trail running this summer and looking for a good shoe with good padding and traction.

For foot-babying purposes I've done most of what little running I've done this year in Hokas. Not sure if it's made any difference, really. I have a couple different models of road Hokas but they're upstairs and I'm too lazy to go see which models they are. They honestly don't feel much different than any other shoes anymore. Definitely nowhere near as cushy as my old "clown stilts" trail Hokas did (and still do). I think I'm sort of over the road versions now.

Like Dave I'm a fan of the Cortana. Like a Kinvara but there's just a bit more shoe there. Marathon PR shoe. Mine were the threes though, not the fours. When the fours get cheap I'll for sure grab a pair or two.

Just recently (as in 1 run so far) I've gone back to the Brooks Ravenna. I previously ran in the Ravenna twos and threes, these new ones are sixes. The twos were my all-time favorite shoe, and I wish I'd stockpiled multiple more pairs of them when I had the chance. The threes I didn't love as much. So far the sixes seem good.

For trails I still like the Saucony Peregrine. They feel like a road shoe but have really aggressive, grippy tread. That said, if I am capable of running Ghost Train this year, I'll be wearing the old mattress-like Hokas. For that long on feet they're the only way to go.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.