Circle North

Boston 2015 (Read 21 times)

Running is stupid.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

MacJim

Great job everybody. You've inspired me to take up running.

GregM

» McCullough, Gregory (USA) 8628 3:17:07 - - 1:34:14 3:17:07 3:19:47
        » Orazio, Andy (USA) 11056 3:18:07 - - 1:37:15 3:18:07 3:20:47

Andy

great come back

Yes, and the times above don't tell the whole story.  Andy told me after the race he stopped for 30 sec to empty his bladder (after 50, it takes longer than that) and he said he lost another 5 seconds stopping to stretch a cramp out of his calf (that's probably another understatement of the actual time).  So I suspect he might have caught me by the finish otherwise.

I've decided my long runs are not long enough.  Why should we expect to perform well through 26 when we only train for 20?  The shorter distance is manageable because we train for it.  So why not train for 26?  For pace I'm thinking MP + 60 or 90 for the first 16 or 20, then MP for the final 10 or 6.  Thoughts?  Any takers?

I point to Cremer's performance last year as evidence of the benefits of increasing the distance of long runs.  His ultra training yielded great results in the marathon distance, even though his training pace was slower than a typical marathon training pace.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

Fro

In theory and in my head this seams right - then my legs get involved in the discussion and say no way. Gotta get to the starting line healthy. I'm new at this thing, but it seems to me, there is this battle raging about training/speed and what's enough - how much can ya handle.

It's a question I've been pondering since my failure - is performance a product of distance or the RIGHT distance? Maybe the long run is overrated and more about training smarter not longer? What's the best mix to build your Aerobic, Lactic and Anaerobic threshold and not have your legs fall off? I can honestly say - I have NO idea. Good thing I LOVE running and look forward to discovering this along the way.

I think there's a happy medium but it's tricky to find. On the one hand yeah, it does make some sense to train longer to run longer. On the other hand, recovery has to be factored in. Going out and jogging extra long easy is one thing. Doing it with any sort of "work" put into it is something else entirely, and is harder to recover from even if it takes less overall time on feet.  There's a point of diminishing returns there that shouldn't be ignored. And where that point is will be different for everybody.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Randall

When I trained for Marathons I ALWAYS took one day off.

More if over tired. Long run ( 15 to 20 miles)  was 2 min. slower then Marathon pace.

Did a 5 mile or 10K race for speed. 5K is not long enough.

Hope this helps!!!