Circle North

Sanford-Springvale Half-Marathon Fall 2014 (Read 19 times)

Looks like Thursday, April 17 @ 11 am at city hall, 3rd floor. This will give us some time to talk Tuesday night a bit more before we vocalize our preferences at the meeting on Thursday.

if this going to happen in fall 2014, that's coming very fast. I honestly don't know if it can be done in that short amount of time, but I am quite excited to explore the possibility, and if it comes to fruition, then participate.

This is not my undertaking, nor the Y's. This comes from Marcel Blouin, director of the city of Sanford's parks and rec dept. this is something he has been thinking about for several years apparently, and has spoken at length with Bob Randall.

The biggest issues to get ironed out are:

1. Date

2. Route (must be certifiable)

3. Cause/ charity of choice

Once this is agreed upon, then we set out to determine the timing company, the pre and post race necessities and benefits, etc. Again, I don't know if this can be done this fall, but I would regret not finding out. If nothing else, maybe now I will know what my first half marathon 2015 is.

Thanks everybody, look forward to your commentary.

MacJim

Does it have to be a half? What about a ten miler. There aren't a lot of them around and the mid winter classic draws a big crowd. Or even a 5 miler..there's only one of them I know about in south berwick in the spring and people love the distance. See ya tuesday.

L Train

Yes I agree with this and with whoever said a "perfect training run  for your fall 1/2 or marathon".  People do the MWC and Derry and ES20 because they lead up to a spring marathon.  Cape Ann 25K in late August or whatever for the same reason.  A 10 miler or even 10K in early September could be great.

Home Away From Home

I'll be in sanford that day so will certainly try to attend.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Next Meeting: Tuesday, April 29 @ 4pm - Gwen's office at the Y

At our initial meeting on Thursday, April 17th, here is what we agreed to:

What - 10-Miler

When - Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 5pm (no other 10-milers in the area, Freeport has the closest distance but that is a different crowd, rare to have an evening race, does not interfere with other local sporting events)

Where - Sanford/Springvale. Start and end at Nasson Community Center. Route to finalized, but preliminary looks like down Main Street to Jewelers Outlet, follow Twombley Road out to intersection of Mt Hope Road, take Mill out to Irving, up Main St to Breton, hop onto School out to Washington Square, down to Number 1 pond through the park, hop back on Main at the Jr High and return to Nasson.

Why/Cause - Sanford Police Department Cadets; they will be able to assist with traffic control

Fees - 40 early bird, 45 regular, 50 week of

# Runners - hope for 200 to start, no cap

Awards - u-19, 20-29, 30-239, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+, by gender, plus top overall male and female. Awards can be shoes to the top finishers, other awards tbd

Swag - tech tees, version for men and women, pizza and beer, entertainment along the course, goodie bags

Timing - Yes, we want it chip timed or it wont attract serious runners

Volunteers - we will need a good group of volunteers, should not be an issue

Next Meeting: Wednesday, May 14 at 11am at City Hall Annex, 3rd Floor Conference Room.

We have only 5 people so far, anybody who can spare a few minutes to participate in the discussion that would be most helpful.

Proposed route has been posted. We will run it Saturday, May 3 at 9am - SIS in Springvale.