Circle North

Reykjavik 2014 (Read 22 times)

I don't really have anything new to say about this right now, but I do want to keep it near the front of the collective consciousness.

REYKJAVIK!!!

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

"Beep, Beep!"

I landed there last Sunday on my way back from Munich. Lots of hots springs to soak in after the race! I'm still interested!

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

Home Away From Home

I have been interested since last year when I brought it up and Allycia is also in.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Home Away From Home

Follow up to my response to Egad, registration is now open and 61 euros till march 15 then climbs at intervals to 88euros just before the race.   Icelandicair has flights from Boston for about 350US much better then Delta at a grand.  As before, Allycia and I are in if everyone else is.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Thats cheap enough but i Think it's the lodging that I would want to hear more about.

Home Away From Home

No different then lodging anywhere else, how cheap or expensive to you want. You can hostel for 5 bucks a night to a suite for 2k.  Jump on the website, click on travel and tourism tab, look at accommodations under the tourism link and select the capital area. There are a bunch of options including camping, hostels, group stuff etc not just hotels but the hotels are reasonable too, seems equal to prices for Washington.  The hotels seem to be booking fact but the guest houses might be the way to make it work too, they seem to be about 100 a night.

MM#5768

marathon@marathon.is

To Me

Today at 9:13 PM

Hello Gregory H. Cremer,

Thank you for registering for Reykjavik Marathon to be held on August 23rd 2014.

Home Away From Home

So is it official? Are we heading there as a group or will it just be a few of us?  Either way, Cremer is in, I'll register while out at work this trip in the next week or so.

Cremer- We should lookat flights and hotels and all and see about trying to book stuff together.

MM#5768

GregM

Greg and Michael,

Can you post where you are staying?  I would like to coordinate.

Tall Dave,

Where would you like to stay?  I'm sure that Tina would enjoy Jane's company, along with Kim's and Allycia's.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

Home Away From Home

Hey guys, as much as it hurts me to write this, as I think most of you know by now we have been approved, loan signed and we are building our house this year.  With all the expense this incurs I can't possible expect Allycia to support me in going especially since we both wanted to go.   The price of two airfares, registration, food, hotel etc equals money that we can put toward any of a thousand things we are trying to pay for out of pocket to help reduce total loan value in the end.

Hope you you all understand and I am totally upset that it is i eland I have to miss. I loved it there and do want to make it back sometime in the future as it is a great place.

MM#5768

Michael, that sucks, but it's understandable. Running is only one part of real life. There will be other adventures.

Greg, nothing firm set yet on where Kim and I are staying, but it will all be finalized very soon. It will be one of the places very centrally located to where the race start is, possibly the Hilton. I'll post it as soon as we decide.

Home Away From Home

Understandable yes but still depressing on the running part but exciting on the house building part. Mixed emotions.

MM#5768

GregM

This may be my best chance to BQ.

Update...

Kim and I will be flying Iceland Air. Flight FI632 leaving Boston at 8:25 p.m. on Monday August 18'th. Returning on flight FI633 leaving Iceland at 5:25 p.m. on Tuesday August 26'th. We wanted to stay about a week and those were the cheapest days/times to travel.

As of this moment it appears that we'll be staying at this place...

http://houseofspirits101.com/

But it isn't quite set in stone yet. They aren't set up to book reservations online so I'm currently emailing back and forth with the proprietor. I'd say it's extremely likely that it's going to be the place, though.

Now confirmed, that's officially where Kim and I are staying.

It's on.

GregM

Just checked airfare.  Lowest is $750.  I'll need to see if I'm even healthy before booking.