Circle North

At the expense of sounding like a newbie (OK, I am).... (Read 19 times)

Fro

Been a lurker on the forum since I’ve joined but could use some help for sure.

Running in a 1/2 this sunday and yep, you guessed it cold/windy and maybe even snow has me thinking about what to wear on my legs.

Never really run a long race with anything but shorts, but I also haven’t encountered what they are forecasting. Should I even be thinking about wearing tights (never even thought of wearing these - yikes) or pants (won’t pants get heavy in rain)?

Conditions have me thinking about my tight calves and don’t want the cold wreaking havoc.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

OK - Back to lurking,

Fro

have you tried or do you wear compression socks?

you wouldn't need the extra warmth to keep from tightening or whatever from tights with those i would think...but then again i'm not a runner and i should let the professionals in here with real calf problems answer your question with an answer, not a question.

really i just wanted to say hello...fro. and also good luck.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Fro

Hey Robin,

Thanks for the quick comment and best wishes - yeah, I do wear the compression socks and was thinking that might be enough, just thought maybe those much smarter than me might have some other ideas....

See ya tonight at the Y?

Fro

I used to wear a compression sleeve on the affected calf under my tights, which gave it a lot of support. Hope you kick ass this weekend mike.

Hey Mike - what are the temps going to be?  If it's between 30-50 I would layer.  I never need more than shorts, a short sleeve dri fit underneath a long sleeve dry fit (or something you are ok throwing away if it ever gets warm) with a light hat and gloves (also something you don't mind throwing away).  Walmart has some cheap stuff if you don't have anything old and they also have super cheap gloves.  An old baseball hat also would do the trick.  The thing to remember is to pin your bib to your shorts or the shirt underneath.  Where are you running this weekend?

Good luck

Hey Mike - what are the temps going to be?  If it's between 30-50 I would layer.  I never need more than shorts, a short sleeve dri fit underneath a long sleeve dry fit (or something you are ok throwing away if it ever gets warm) with a light hat and gloves (also something you don't mind throwing away).  Walmart has some cheap stuff if you don't have anything old and they also have super cheap gloves.  An old baseball hat also would do the trick.  The thing to remember is to pin your bib to your shorts or the shirt underneath.  Where are you running this weekend?

Good luck

It's borderline creepy how close this is to exactly what I said at the group run tonight.

MTA: Your face is borderline creepy.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

It's borderline creepy how close this is to exactly what I said at the group run tonight.

MTA: Your face is borderline creepy.

There is a little guide you can try at:

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

When in doubt layering is a good suggestion, easier to discard then to go the other way.  As you run more you will be able to know what works best for you... for example I have a little chart for myself...

Wear long sleeves <45

Wear light gloves and vest < 40 Degrees

Jacket, Tights & Hat & Light Gloves <35

Heavy Gloves / Mittens <25

Jacket & Heavy Tights* < 20     (* & or another layer to protect your package.)

For races, with the extra effort, I expect to be hotter than an average training run.So if it is 40 degrees for a race, I would expect to toss the vest & gloves after the start.  If it was 43-45 I might start with a short sleeve knowing I will warm up soon enough.

You definitely DO NOT want to be shivering prior to the race.  Shivering will sap your energy for the race!  Best of luck.  We all started somewhere and most of us are still learning as well.

What was I chasing again?

Fro

Thanks all for the great information and best wishes - pretty fortunate to have this group to bounce ideas around and get this newbie "edumacated". Not going to lie, the tights thing scares me to death - guess I'll have to get used to wearing them this winter - LOL.

Or be called a wuss and stay on the treadmill, or freeze your nuts off.

What was I chasing again?

ACrosby

Hey Fro, here is a link to ITB rehab video I was telling you about. This will help with hips, lateral muscles in the hip/glute area that can help prevent injury, especially if you are going to be running this winter in anything slippery.  This workout also helps strengthen your hamstrings. Hope things start to feel better for you soon!

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

GregM

I suggest a snowmobile suit ... over at least three layers, top and bottom.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

Fro

Hey Alicia, this is awesome - thanks for the link. I'm going to give it a try this week!