Circle North

NYC Marathon (Read 203 times)

GregM

New York Road Runners: A Message About The Marathon

Dear Marathon Runners:

Thank you all for your patience during the last seven weeks as we have worked through issues related to the cancellation of the 2012 ING New York City Marathon. Hurricane Sandy was a devastating event for our city, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the victims and their families as they work to rebuild their homes and lives.

We are sorry that it has taken us longer to resolve these issues than we had originally hoped. We have been working to offer the best possible solutions in order to meet the needs of the many different groups associated with the Marathon.

Our goal was to offer a range of options to each of you so that you can choose which option works best for you.

MARATHON RUNNERS

All 2012 Marathoners may choose one of the following three options:

Option #1 - Refund. While NYRR has always had a no-refund policy for the Marathon, given these extraordinary circumstances, we are offering runners who were entered in the 2012 Marathon, and were unable to run due to the cancellation¹, the opportunity to obtain a full refund of their 2012 Marathon entry fee (excluding the $11 processing fee); OR

Option #2 – Guaranteed entry to the ING New York City Marathon for 2013, 2014, or 2015. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the Marathon for the year they choose. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application (in the given year), with fees maintained at the same rate as those paid in 2012; OR

Option #3 – Guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013, to be run on March 17, 2013. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application. Availability will be limited.

¹ Applies to runners entered in the 2012 Marathon who had not cancelled prior to October 24, 2012.

THE OPTION SELECTION PROCESS

Individual e-mails will be sent to all runners on January 10, 2013, and information will be posted on the Marathon website, providing further details and terms and conditions for the obtaining of refunds and the choosing of an option. The option selection window will open on January 11, 2013, and you will have until January 25, 2013, to choose your option, so we ask that you please act quickly once you receive the instructional e-mail, as there will be no default option.

Please choose the option that works best for you. If you have any questions prior to receiving our instructional e-mail on January 10, please do not hesitate to contact NYRR customer service at customerservice@nyrr.org.

On behalf of all of us at NYRR, thank you for your patience and support. Our commitment is to work hard over the coming year to serve our runners and community and to return the ING New York City Marathon to being our city's best day.

Yours in running,

Mary

Mary Wittenberg
    President and CEO

RUN FOR LIFE.

This e-mail was sent by New York Road Runners. To ensure future delivery of NYRR e-mails, please make sure this e-mail address is added to your safe sender list. To unsubscribe from future mailings, click here. Message ID: 33147753.

Copyright © 2012 New York Road Runners, 9 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

My salty dogs

So -- what are you plans?   I was hoping to run in 2013.  Changes in qualifying time have me out unless I find a 1/2 in January and run under 1:25.  Even then -- I wonder if they will have space.

GregM

I'm running in 2013, either by using my 2012 guaranteed entry, or by re-qualifying, in which case I could take a refund for 2012.  Either way, I have to pay the 2013 registration fee, so I am using this as my incentive to re-qualify.  Due to a brief lower calf injury, followed by the flu and bronchitis, I've not run in 3 weeks, and my last cardio was nearly 2 weeks ago.  So I'm not optimistic about re-qualifying in Phoenix (January 20) and I don't know that I'll be ready to perform well enough at the Hampton Half to re-qualify with a sub 1:29 half.  We'll see.

By the way, Jimbo has qualified with a sub-1:29 half, and Michelle has also qualified.  I think (hope) both are planning to run in 2013.  Hope you get in, too, Salty.  I plan to shoot for a sub-3 with Jim, and having you there with us would increase the pull to the finish, though I think we'd lose sight of you after the first 5k.

My salty dogs

I thought the qualify dead-line was in January -- I just read something else showing December.

I missed the race I had planned to do and now looks like I've missed my chance.

I ran just under 3hrs in March and it had qualified me but now they lowered it to 2:58.  It was just 3:05 -- that sucks -- if I had know I could have cut the 40 seconds needed.

Ok-- the Dec 31  was just for the half but the NYC site no longer had the qualifying times or the deadline.

I'll still shoot for a sub 1:25 (new or at least what I saw before they removed it) at a race mid January.

I was doing well but then gained back the weight I'd lost.  1:25 will be tough.

If I get it then I do plan to sign up for NYC -- if they allow it.

GregM

It's not too late, Salty.  The NY Road Runners have not yet opened or close the 2013 marathon registration.  I'm sure they'll make the decision by Jan 11 when they open the 3-option selection process available to 2012 registrants who were unable to run due to the hurricane.  No doubt, the 2013 registration for others will depend on the number of 2012 registrants who opt to run in 2013.  I suspect the qualifying standards will be the same for 2013, but priority will be given to those with faster times if there are not enough spaces, which could be the case if there are a large number of 2012 registrants who decide to run in 2013.  If this is how the NYRR handles the 2013 registration, the procedure will be similar to Boston.  Last I knew, the 2013 registration was to be open until Jan 31.  I can't see why this will be changed to an earlier date, but it might be delayed to a later date.  We'll see.  Good luck, Salty.  I hope to see you in the City in 2013!  By the way, are you in for Boston?

My salty dogs

Hope you are right about Jan 31st  ---- only one 1/2 near by -- in Austin (not really near).

I'm not in for Boston this year -- but will be for sure in 2014!!!!! Started my training for it today!!

GregM

Hey, Salty.  Here's a better idea than Boston 2013:  Maine Coast Marathon, May 18, 2013.  Dick's PR, and he's registered.  I am.  You?

Here's the forum link:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/circlenorth/forum/9d6687e3602d44fbb1a0aedfd8907431/resume#focus

My salty dogs

Hmmm.   I did want to visit about then.....could happen.

GregM

Looking forward to it!

GregM

New York Road Runners: A Message About The Marathon

Dear 2012 ING New York City Marathoner:

At 12:00 noon Eastern Standard Time on Friday, January 11, we will be opening the Online Marathon Resolution Option System (the "Online System"). As an entrant in the 2012 ING New York City Marathon, you will have the opportunity to use the Online System to select one of three options:

Option #1 – Refund.  A full refund of your 2012 Marathon entry fee (excluding the $11 processing fee); OR

Option #2 – Guaranteed entry to the ING New York City Marathon for 2013, or 2014, or 2015. Entrants will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application for the year selected, with such fees being maintained at the same rate as those paid in 2012; OR

Option #3 – Guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013, to be run on March 17, 2013. Entrants will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application. Availability is limited to 1,000 entrants; requests will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

These options are subject to the Terms & Conditions. Please read carefully before making your selection. Once you submit your selection in the Online System, you cannot make any changes.

The Online System will remain open until Friday, January 25, 2013, at 11:59 p.m. EST. You must make your selection by that deadline, as no selections can be made after the Online System closes. Any 2012 entrant not completing the selection process will not be entitled to receive a refund of 2012 entry fees or guaranteed entry into the 2013 (or later) ING New York City Marathon based on the cancellation of the 2012 Marathon

In order to make your option selection using the Online System, you will need the username and password that you used when you applied to the 2012 Marathon. Access to the Online System will open at 12:00 noon EST on January 11, 2013. If you need assistance with your username and password, please e-mail us.

After selecting your option, you will be asked to confirm that you have read and accepted the Terms & Conditions, including the Waiver/Release. You will receive a confirmation e-mail once you have completed the selection process.

For those choosing a refund, reimbursement will be made to your credit card or by check, depending on the original form of payment at the time of application. Refunds will take approximately four to six weeks.

Please note that your choice of a guaranteed entry for a future ING New York City Marathon or the NYC Half 2013 is not an official registration for that race. You will be sent a follow-up communication outlining the steps required to complete the official registration process.

Our process of accepting runners to the 2013, 2014, and 2015 ING New York City Marathon will begin with you, our 2012 Marathoners. If you have any additional questions, please e-mail us.

Thank you again for your patience during these past weeks. We look forward to a future filled with many great runs!

Best,

NYRR

RUN FOR LIFE.

This e-mail was sent by New York Road Runners. To ensure future delivery of NYRR e-mails, please make sure this e-mail address is added to your safe sender list. To unsubscribe from future mailings, click here. Message ID: 33565629.

Copyright © 2013 New York Road Runners, 9 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128.