Circle North

Chicago, 2009 (Read 772 times)

L Train

Bank of America Chicago Marathon Registration has Surpassed the Halfway Point Registration for the 2009 Bank of America Chicago Marathon has exceeded 25,000 participants. Register now to ensure your spot at the start line for the 32nd running of this Chicago tradition. Registration will close when the participant capacity of 45,000 is reached. At the current rate, the close of registration is expected to occur before the end of April. Once registration has closed, entries will still be available through the Chicago Marathon's Official Charity Program. More details on the Charity Program are available at chicagomarathon.com. In addition, runners who qualify for the Top 100 Program have an extended registration deadline of September 1. More information on the Top 100 and Elite Athlete programs, including qualifying standards, is available at chicagomarathon.com. If you have already registered for the 2009 event, you can verify your entry information and Start Corral assignment on the Registration Confirmation page. For more information about Start Corral assignments, including how to qualify for a Seeded Start Corral, click here. The Chicago Marathon will take place on Sunday, October 11, in Chicago's Grant Park. The 26.2-mile course is world renowned for its speed, and provides runners with a one-of-a-kind tour through 29 diverse neighborhoods which feature stunning architecture, historic landmarks, and throngs of enthusiastic spectators. In advance of the race, a two-day Health & Fitness Expo will be held at Chicago's McCormick Place Convention Center on Friday, October 9 and Saturday, October 10. The Health & Fitness Expo is free and open to the public. The registration fee for the 2009 Bank of America Chicago Marathon is $125 for U.S. participants and $150 for participants outside the U.S. For more information on the 2009 event or to register, visit chicagomarathon.com.

L Train

Here’s the news on the lodging front for the tour…Please let me know if you do not agree with rooming assignments:

My salty dogs

This is just FYI-- I am just gathering info, not setting anything up at this point. I received a reply from an American Airline group sales person. They don't fly out of Manchester so they quoted me pricing out of Boston for a group of 10 or more. Looks like $236 plus about $30 taxes and fees. A $50.00 USD/CAD per seat deposit needs to be placed on one credit card. I looked into SouthWest (out of Manchester) and groups sales through them looked difficult. Individual "Internet rates" looked to be about $240 plus taxes and fees. I will contact Sanford Travel this week to see if they can be any help setting something up. I know Manchester would work for better for some. I am hoping a travel agent can get the low price and coordinate each of us paying through them. Dave/Salty
        L Train

Personally, I don't care where we fly out of. I guess if I had to pick and the prices were roughly the same I would say Manchester. $236 and $240 doesn't seem much different. It will help costs (IMO) if several of us take the same flights, because probably the easiest way for us to get from O'Hare to the North side will be via taxi. The more, the cheaper. Diane and I have discussed fdlying Sat AM rather than Friday, but the group overwhelmingly (in my informal polls) wants to arrive on Friday and leave on Tuesday. To coordinate with hotels, etc. I believe that will work for us.

"Beep, Beep!"

Parking is cheaper at Manchester, Smile

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

L Train

Parking is cheaper at Manchester
              There was discussion of taking the bus from Dover (to Logan) to avoid that issue.

Home Away From Home

In my inexperienced opinion, I would prefer a friday flight with the chance to relax on Saturday and then fly either Monday or tuesday for home.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

"Beep, Beep!"

I agree get there Friday and not worry about traveling on Saturday

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

runlolita

I vote for Manchester....but I am only one vote. Friday to Tuesday for me... Lo
                    L Train

Below is the link for the Palmer House Hotel. When checking the site for 4 rooms with 2 double beds, I couldn't find the rooms Lo refers to. They had two doubles with two baths, but they were like $489/night (maybe ~$400 with the discount she refers to). It may be that those rooms (the $304 rooms) are gone, or it may be that I'm doing something wrong. http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/CHIPHHH-The-Palmer-House-Hilton-Illinois/index.do?WT.srch=1 Below is the link for Embassy Suites. Cost appears to be $349 for 3 people (King and pull out sofa)-$389 (2 Doubles and pull out sofa)/night. That's based on 3 to a room. For 4 to a room it's $40/more in each case. The hotel is close to the lakefront (maybe 2 blocks) and is about 0.6 miles from the start. Any place we are staying is close to Michigan Ave. and any number of things we would want to do while we are there. http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/CHIREES-Embassy-Suites-Chicago-Downtown-Lakefront-Illinois/index.do;jsessionid=41158BCF10C3CE909761CFE9EE2086AF.etc23?brand_id=ES&brand_directory=/en/es/&xch=73236215,L3US0UPATG20OCSGBIUMVCQ If we say that the $304 rooms are available at the Palmer House, and we are comparing against the Embassy Suites $389 rate, that's $85/nightx4nights/3people=$113 difference per person for the trip. Embassy Suites can be cheaper if we commit to a non-refundable reservation, which I don't think I want. Offsetting this somewhat: 2 free drinks per person per night at Embassy Suites. Let's say that's $30 per person total (some more, some less). Free full hot breakfast at Embassy Suites. I'll estimate that value at $40-$50 per person for the trip if we assume that you would eat breakfast every day in either case. So offsetting the $113 higher price is maybe $70-$80 of amnenities, plus the 3rd person in each room is in a seperate room on a pull out couch, and there is a kitchenette with microwave, sink, etc. Both hotels are close to the start/finish (<1 mile) with palmer house slightly closer. i'm partial to the embassy suites, maybe because i have stayed in several, maybe because i stayed here in 2006 for the marathon, maybe because it would be easier for someone to share a room with diane and i and possibly our baby if there is a seperate room. i like not having to think about where to get my breakfast for one thing. sometimes downtowns can be a little difficult for this. i also would prefer that we all stay at the same hotel. i don't like the idea of us spreading across different hotels, even if they are close together. it's more difficult to meet, etc., and most of you are unfamiliar with the area (i am only sort of familiar). i could see a lot of time/energy wasted trying to meet up. i think we should decide soon. laurie did a lot of work getting the info, and i guess i would want to know the basis for everyone making a decision. some people want to get more to a room to manage costs, others don't want to share a double bed with someone. but if everyone says what they do/don't want (in writing so we can gather the info) it will be easier to make a decision. feel free to post here about it. ok, there's my $.02. :) mile)="" with="" palmer="" house="" slightly="" closer.="" i'm="" partial="" to="" the="" embassy="" suites,="" maybe="" because="" i="" have="" stayed="" in="" several,="" maybe="" because="" i="" stayed="" here="" in="" 2006="" for="" the="" marathon,="" maybe="" because="" it="" would="" be="" easier="" for="" someone="" to="" share="" a="" room="" with="" diane="" and="" i="" and="" possibly="" our="" baby="" if="" there="" is="" a="" seperate="" room.="" i="" like="" not="" having="" to="" think="" about="" where="" to="" get="" my="" breakfast="" for="" one="" thing.="" sometimes="" downtowns="" can="" be="" a="" little="" difficult="" for="" this.="" i="" also="" would="" prefer="" that="" we="" all="" stay="" at="" the="" same="" hotel.="" i="" don't="" like="" the="" idea="" of="" us="" spreading="" across="" different="" hotels,="" even="" if="" they="" are="" close="" together.="" it's="" more="" difficult="" to="" meet,="" etc.,="" and="" most="" of="" you="" are="" unfamiliar="" with="" the="" area="" (i="" am="" only="" sort="" of="" familiar).="" i="" could="" see="" a="" lot="" of="" time/energy="" wasted="" trying="" to="" meet="" up.="" i="" think="" we="" should="" decide="" soon.="" laurie="" did="" a="" lot="" of="" work="" getting="" the="" info,="" and="" i="" guess="" i="" would="" want="" to="" know="" the="" basis="" for="" everyone="" making="" a="" decision.="" some="" people="" want="" to="" get="" more="" to="" a="" room="" to="" manage="" costs,="" others="" don't="" want="" to="" share="" a="" double="" bed="" with="" someone.="" but="" if="" everyone="" says="" what="" they="" do/don't="" want="" (in="" writing="" so="" we="" can="" gather="" the="" info)="" it="" will="" be="" easier="" to="" make="" a="" decision.="" feel="" free="" to="" post="" here="" about="" it.="" ok,="" there's="" my="" $.02.=""></1 mile) with palmer house slightly closer. i'm partial to the embassy suites, maybe because i have stayed in several, maybe because i stayed here in 2006 for the marathon, maybe because it would be easier for someone to share a room with diane and i and possibly our baby if there is a seperate room. i like not having to think about where to get my breakfast for one thing. sometimes downtowns can be a little difficult for this. i also would prefer that we all stay at the same hotel. i don't like the idea of us spreading across different hotels, even if they are close together. it's more difficult to meet, etc., and most of you are unfamiliar with the area (i am only sort of familiar). i could see a lot of time/energy wasted trying to meet up. i think we should decide soon. laurie did a lot of work getting the info, and i guess i would want to know the basis for everyone making a decision. some people want to get more to a room to manage costs, others don't want to share a double bed with someone. but if everyone says what they do/don't want (in writing so we can gather the info) it will be easier to make a decision. feel free to post here about it. ok, there's my $.02. :)>

My salty dogs

My preferences: Out of Manchester with Southwest but bus to Boston would be okay Friday to Tuesday Embassy Suites -- own bed, couch, or corner on the floor but no spooning for me.Cool Dave S.

"Beep, Beep!"

Embassy Sounds like the better way to go. No real preferences on Airport

L Train

Dave - 1) Will Jane be coming? 2) If so, would you want a King room with another person in the seperate room on pull out couch, or would you prefer a room w/ 2 doubles?

Running Rick

Anything is okay with me. Let me know where to send the check. Embassy sounds good for me. As for flying would prefer Friday to leave and Tuesday to return. I think it would be easier to get a flight back on Tuesday considering the number of people leaving Chicago. If your in noooo hurry there is AMTRAK. No preference on Manchester or Boston.
                              L Train

Consensus from all responders and people at the Ale Run were all for the Embassy Suites option. That's Dave T, Michael, Dave S, Rick and myself. Becky is staying with her friend in IN, and Dave Ashley is making his own arrangements. that leaves, Tom, Laurie, Greg, Amy, Dick and potentially Linda (hope I'm not forgetting anyone). Dave S has agreed to take the risk and stay in a room with Diane and I and potentially baby Hoenig. Then there's 9 left. The question becomes - do you 9 want to try to get in 2 rooms or 3? 2 rooms would one room would have to have 5 - 2 people in 2 double beds and 1 in the living area. The other could have 4 in the room. We also would have at least one room of cross-sex (I suppose that could be taken the wrong way) So I guess the question that would need to be answered is whether we want a total of 3 rooms or 4? Some of it may depend if Linda is coming, and whether there is potentially any other last minute entries. I propose you use this thread as a means to communicate your wishes on this, or you can talk to other people directly I guess. Unless there is objection to the whole thing, I plan to at least book our room this week. Then each room (Laurie had once suggested a "room captain" idea which could make sense) would have to reserve their own room, and it would probabaly require that it get put on a credit card (which could be $1,600 or so). I don't feel I can do that for the whole group, as it would be $4,800-$6,400 on a card. If I was to throw it out there, since money seems to be a priority over comfort, I would put Laurie, Amy, Linda, Rick and Dick in one room and Dave T, Michael, Greg and Tom in the other. Obviously any other combination could work - (or adding an extra room). Thoughts - post 'em.