Circle North

Sanford-Springvale Half-Marathon Fall 2014 (Read 19 times)

Greetings,

Ok, the word is officially out.

Marcel Blouin has asked me to help him assemble a committee to determine if we can host a half marathon here in the sanford area late this fall. We will be holding an exploratory meeting on Thursday, April 10 @ 11 am at the city hall, third floor annex - this date time and location was chosen to accommodate the SIS lunch special. Topics will include, level of interest, proposed routes, date of event, admission fees, cause to support, sponsors. We are just getting our feet wet. Who better to ask than the group here in town already dedicated to the cause of running. If you can only spare 15 minutes, we would appreciate your time and feedback.

Committed members include Bob Randall, Eric Gadbois, and Tim Cook.

Please let me know if you are coming, also if you can't make it but do want to be involved.

Thanks,

Gwen

Unfortunately, I am out of town for a conference on Thursday.  Sorry I can not attend.  Otherwise, I am usually available with some notice.  Very glad to see this getting off the ground.

I can't make that meeting but I'd be happy to be involved. As for causes to support, of course there are a million good ones. A certain non-profit organization that counts many of us as members comes to mind.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

But that's in the middle of the PRE-Lunchtime special.

I should be able to be there.   Cool idea.  How in the world do we get police for a HM if we can't get then for a 5K?

I can be there, and we can run the SIS special after the meeting.

Randall

I am in ,Think of a course. I already have one. keep it on the back roads .minimal police.

Bob

Home Away From Home

I can't make 11:00 due to prior obligations but would definitley be interested in helping out wherever needed for this cause.  I can certainly try to attend other meetings, help out in planning and participating or volunteering in anything in preparation as long as I am home from work.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Home Away From Home

......How in the world do we get police for a HM if we can't get then for a 5K?

Donuts, did someone say donuts 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Home Away From Home

Some possible leads for help from Allycia are to connect with a group that may (use to be ) called "Strategies for a Stronger Sanford" and also hook up with Mike Gordon and Tipper (last name unkown) of the Sanford Police Dept. as they are the Sanford School Resource Officers. They run a police cadet program and the kids can use this as a community service event.

MM#5768

Very helpful information, thanks for sharing. I am familiar with that organization and the spd officers mentioned. This is the type of input we are seeking at the committee level. Even if you can't make the meeting, your feedback is invaluable.

4/10 MEETING RESCHEDULED

I'm sorry but there seems to be a conflict with the time/space availability at city hall for tomorrow, Thursday, April 10 at 11am.

I really would like as much participation as I can get (I'm the newbie, you all have the experience), and I just assumed that if it fell right before a regular group run, that would be most convenient. I could be wrong, of course.

Next proposed date: Tuesday, April 15 @ 4pm, perhaps at the Y? We can take off at 5:15 for the run, then hit BSG.

If not, what about next Thursday, April 17 @ 11am at City Hall (again before SIS lunch special)?

Weigh in please...

Randall

Either day works for me

Bob

L Train

Gwen unfortunately I can't do either of those.  I'll be prerunning Tuesday instead of the group run again because of Tuesday night commitments.  And next Thursday I won't be at the noontime special either.  Don't schedule the first meeting around me though - I'll be able to make other meetings I'm sure.

I'll say this - my first thoughts are hesitant.  Is this coming from you (the Y?) or from Marcel (parks and rec?).  What's the goal?  To get exposure to the town?  To raise money for something specific?  I'm hesitant because my first thought is it would be great to get out of town/state money to come here.  But the schedule is chock full of half marathons in the fall.  Maine people have Maine marathon half, Massholes have Baystate, there's Becky's Harvest half, does Smuttynose have a half? and there's the Seacoast half, all in the fall and all local.  There would have to be a specific draw to this race I think, especially to get the Massholes and NH people (with money) up here.

Of course I defer to Bob on all matters running and he could shoot all that down and say there's definitely a market for it.  I'm definitely interested in talking more about it, just wanted to throw my initial thoughts out there in case I'm not at the first meeting.

Yes, agreed, there are a lot of competing racesduring that time. Is it more advantageous to have it in the Spring? Have we considered even early September? I think if it's a fast marathon (i.e. Rt 109 out and back) they will come. More from me on Tues/Thurs.

it could be billed as the perfect training race for your fall marathon