Circle North

TY 10 Goals (Read 855 times)

My salty dogs

Finishing Chicago put all kinds of future plans in my head.  Maybe it was the paper miss-reporting that I ran a 2:20 (good enough to make the Trials and jump past Dick's PR but only in my dreams since it was actually 2:50) or maybe it was the sense of being part of a group.  I think the latter.

I would like this tread to be a place for our goals, progress checks, encouragement, adjustments, and more specific "next action" for our goals.

Here are mine:

Time for goals:    (everything I have read says to put it out there-so here it is)

Big Time:   Sub 2:49 in Boston

Mid:   Sub 1:21 in Hampton 1/2 in Feb and at Eastern States in March : ran 121:30 but course was .3 long on many people gps-- I don't care regarding race results but as a fitness test-- I do think I was at 1:20 for 13.1.

Short:  Sub 37 in 10K Jan 1st (if not during a nor-easter)      36:34

Sub 2:47 in Sugarloaf Marathon (May)

How to get there:  

Begin training Nov 1st not Jan 1st.

Average 40 miles per week Jan 1-April 10th.

Include hill repeats 2 times a month beginning Nov 1 (Friday nights of non-race weekends)

Include speed drills 2 times a month beginning Nov 1 (Friday nights of non-race weekends)

Race 3 times (5K-15k)  between Oct 31st and Dec 26th

Quality over quantity will be my focus for TY10.   I"ll break my annual milage into 4 parts.

For quantity- this may be my first 1000+ year ever so while I hope to increase that slightly I would rather focus for shorter periods and not worry about the annual total.

Jan-April-- 16 weeks with 2 of taper/recovery. My goal will be an average of 40 miles per week for 14.  Also, nothing lower than 30, topping out at two over 50.

May-July: low key-- less maybe 20-30 miles per week

Aug-Oct  back up to 40 miles per week.

Nov-Dec back down below 30.

What that totals-- I don't know but if I do it-- it will be an all time high. I care the most about the 14 weeks prior to Boston and again for NYC.

Quality:

I'll set a goal of # of long runs - 20+ I usually shoot for 6 to 8 prior to a marathon. This Spring-- I hope for 8-10.

Speed session 2 per month would put me at and all time high

Hill workouts-- like wise-- while we tend to hit hill on long runs-- we never do drills or practice down hill running.

I hope to "bulk" up -- really "tone up" and while a few pound will likely drop-- I am shooting for a 2-3% drop from where I am now. I hover around 16 and manage to go slightly below 14 right before a marathon.  I would like to hover at 14 and be nearer to 12 by Boston this year.  

What ever we all set for goals for TY10, I know it is important we share them and check in with each other along the way.  I'm excited to set the results.  Like a project, listing out actionable items to tick off helps to "get things done" (great book by David Allen).  Using something to keep track of and monitor is just as important.

So-- the goals require us to break them down into specific actions that will lead us to them.

That said, I may have to change me new groups name from "<1000sub3hr26.2" to ,"<1200sub2:50"

So Tall Dave, Lawrunner, and Sailorrunner-- what are your goals for TR10!

L Train

Nothing to see here.

L Train

2010 goals:

Race                    Goal time            Actual time

Derry 16 miler:           <2:08                  SUCCESS - 2:01:32

Midwinter 10 mile:     <1:14                  FAIL - DNF

Hampton 1/2:             <1:36                  FAIL - DNS

ES 20:                          <2:30                  2:32:54 (fail, but wind-hindered)

Lehigh Valley 1/2:      <1:33                  FAIL (1:34:12)

Sugarloaf                    <3:30                  ---

Bob's 5K                     <20:00                FAIL (20:10)    (but achieved on 11/20 with 19:05)

Yankee Homecoming: <1:12              FAIL (1:12:10)

Fall 1/2 marathon      <1:31                  FAIL (1:31:07).  Sigh.

Baystate:                     BQ (3:20:59)     SUCCESS (3:20.22) On the only one that mattered.

How to get there:

Get weight down to < 170 165  (This did not happen).

3 days/week core strength

At least one hard effort and one LR per week.  Even my easier miles need to be run at a little harder pace, and my tempo miles or speedwork need to be done at harder pace than in the past.

2300+ miles.  This shouldn't be a problem.

2500 miles with no months under 200. (SUCCESS)

More to follow as I think of it.

What about My Goals? OK, I don't really have any...perhaps to still be able to run is all...or

to have my total number of training runs be higher than my total number of races??

Best to all in the coming year...

My salty dogs

Noticed the adjustment to your goals Lance-- nice way to cap the year!

Awesome reflection!   Congrats to PH,  but sure you could take him with a bit of coaching. Really sorry I missed seeing it in person (better to still be married- took care of my wife with a broken hip).

L-Train--- I'll bet you took for from this race than if in the lose than in a win and will be better because of it.

#1-- never,ever, look back!  Peak on the turns but never look back!

L Train

Thanks Dave - It was really quite an experience and really fun (as you read).  I don't think I'll often be in the situation where I'm racing an actual person, but I learned a lot about if I ever do.  And of course I learned that I can run further, faster than I think I can.   Finally, I confirmed that a bit of weight loss can make a big difference.  If I can lose the weight I plan to, there's no way I don't get the BQ next year.

GregM

Like that attitude, L-Train.  And Salty.  I've already set my goal (1:30:00 half) and just have to figure out how best to achieve it.  In a word, mileage.  That got me where I did not expect to be.  I'll try to do an easy long run nearly every week, increasing in length as Boston approaches, speed intervals, tempo runs, recovery runs, steady state runs, etc.  I'll add some hill work, especially to get ready for Boston.  I'll include racing in my training, beginning with Mill Cities. 

Specific goals:

sub 1:30:00 Hampton half or Eastern States

sub 3:16:11 Boston

3:10:00 Sugarloaf or Maine

sub 19:00 5k, followed by sub 6-min pace 5k (Laurie's PR)

I should add that I'll be very happy if I can approach Laurie's half PR, which I understand to be 1:28 and change.  I suspect I'll reach that milestone, if at all, before I match her 5k PR.  If I manage to do that, I'll try to match Paul's White Mountain Half PR, which is about a minute faster, I think. 

Ok, perhaps I should change my name to "Competitor". 

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

I could swear I had a post on this thread, but it doesn't seem to be here, and I've had some new thoughts anyway, so...

Goals for 2010:

Run a spring marathon and a fall marathon. PR in both, working toward BQ.

Crush my current PR in the half, which I know I can easily do. Then do at least one more and beat the first one.

Run more races overall. It seemed to me like I raced a lot in '09, but really it was only 10 or so. I will try to double that.

Continue lowering my 5k PR, currently 22:09. I believe sub 21:00 is definitely realistic, and my goal will be to close in on sub 20:00.  

I'm drawn to the idea of running more miles than the year, so I will run more than 2,010 miles in 2010. It's roughly the mileage I had in mind anyway, and it just has a cool ring to it.

Listen to my body and stay healthy and hopefully injury-free. This one should probably be at the top of the list.

Do at least one sprint triathlon as a team with Kim, just for FUN.

That's it for now. It's sometimes easy to lose perspective on these things. I just read over this list and was reminded that my running goals at the start of 2009 could've been summed up in 3 words... "run a marathon", and as the year started it seemed like a verrrrry distant and possibly insane goal. It's cool that I can set more ambitious goals for 2010 and know that I can achieve them.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

In the spirit of "putting it out there", and given Lance's goal of 74 minutes for the Mid-Winter Classic, I'm setting my goal at sub 75 minutes, given decent running conditions. Optimistic? Maybe. We shall see.

(Actual official time 1:14:58. Nothing like cutting it close, eh?)

GregM

Greg C., you're inspiring!  If you reach your 2010 goals, you will definitely be worthy of a "most improved" award!  And I fully expect that you can do it.  Staying healthy is the key.  Next, I suspect, is the mileage with sufficient easy runs so that you do not wear yourself down.  I have been having some difficulty following this advice of late, but I still firmly believe in it.  Good luck with your running and keep the rest of us inspired!  -Greg M.

Very kind words, Greg. Thank you. I've been inspired and helped by this group from the start, so you all have a hand (foot?) in any improvements I've made, for sure.

My salty dogs

I just caught that my March 09 entries had some duplicates-- that means-- I just ran my biggest month ever this January-- and we have 5 more days to go.

It also means I topped out last year at just slight over 1000 miles not nearly 1200.  No big deal-- it was still the most ever but gives me new thoughts on what this year might bring me.

March and Sept were my biggest months-- basically the months prior to both marathons.

So-- I am going to allow myself to adjust me Boston goals sometime in late February.  A PR will still be the main objective but setting a  new target is something I will entertain.  

Maybe I should take the next 5 days off to make it easier to raise the bar in February?? It is a short month.

L Train

So-- I am going to allow myself to adjust me Boston goals sometime in late February.  A PR will still be the main objective but setting a  new target is something I will entertain.  

This seems smart to me.  The reason I brought it up last night was out of curiousity.  If you train more than you ever have with a better base than you have ever had would you be willing to put a time out there that was aggressive enough that you might fail? 

Of course it's subject to all the factors you listed, weather, nutrition, sickness, etc.  But if you put yourself in a position to succeed with your training, and the weather turns out to be good, and all the rest of the stuff is there, that's what I would do in your position.  I can't relate to how fast you are but if you KNOW you can run a 2:49 why not line up and try to run <2:45 if all the other stuff falls in place?  The worst that happens is a DNF, but the best that happens is you get a lifetime PR on a tough course.  And we aren't getting any younger.  My $.02. 

Go for it Salty  10 sec a mile faster than 2:49 = 2:45

My best Boston was net 2:52:35 , I averaged 60 mi. a week for 10 weeks

and was in shape to run 2:49 and that was my goal , had a perfect day, than ran like a baby,

had way too much left, last mile 6:15 crossed the line swearing

cause I knew  missed my only sub 2:50 chance .  Never broke 2:55 again.

You got yours,  now go for it all !

GregM

In the spirit of "putting it out there", and given Lance's goal of 74 minutes for the Mid-Winter Classic, I'm setting my goal at sub 75 minutes, given decent running conditions. Optimistic? Maybe. We shall see.

(Actual official time 1:14:58. Nothing like cutting it close, eh?)

Way to go, Greg!  I saw Kim in the pool at the Y recently and she informed me that you had made your goal by a matter of seconds.  That makes the accomplishment that much sweeter; it rewards every instance of extra effort that helped you attain your goal.  Congrats, again.  Now what is your goal for the Hampton Half?