Circle North

Reykjavik 2014 (Read 22 times)

NOTE: This race as a group thing was originally Michael's idea, and he should get full credit. I've decided to lobby for it as a group thing for 2014 because it sounds awesome...

So yeah, Reykjavik, Iceland. August 23'rd, 2014. Here's the link for info...

http://www.marathon.is/reykjavik-marathon

As I recall from looking into it when Michael brought this idea up originally, it's not super-expensive to travel there. It's a fairly small marathon, so probably not a giant circus, and I mean c'mon, it's in Iceland. That's pretty damn cool. Who do you know that's run a marathon in Iceland? That's right, nobody. We could do that.

I'll be blathering on more about this as time goes by. Think about it.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

GregM

I'm very much in favor of this too.  Given the time of year, it seems like a great location.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

"Beep, Beep!"

Hmmm. I could be interested in this also!

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

MacJim

I'm interested also.

Factoid of the day... It's only a 5 hour flight from Boston to Reykjavik.

Get 15 in your group and you should be able to get a group discount on airfare.

Get 15 in your group and you should be able to get a group discount on airfare.

Hopefully that 15 will include some Leighs.

I'll be cheering you on from Springvale. Sounds like a great time.

Home Away From Home

As the Cremer said as the originator of this idea Allycia and I are both in. She will be at the hot springs while we run.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Elevation map

heightchange

The Reykjavik Marathon course is about 60% flat and 40% rolling. The total difference in altitude is only about 30 meters. During the first 6 km there are 3 slight hills with elevation of few meters and again around 12 km. After 15 km there is a hill with an elevation of about 10 m, probably the steepest part of the course. From 18 km to 20 km there is a slow elevation of 25m (the highest point of the course). After that there are very slight hills with two exceptions around 26 and 28 km where the elevation is about 6-7 m.

The marathon and the half marathon routes are one lap (except for the last part of the marathon, as it goes nearly the same route as in the beginning of the race). The 10 km route is only the first part of the marathon course (see course map).

The 2014 Reykjavik marathon is more than 4 months after Boston, more than a full month after the Lake Placid triathlon, and 2 months or so prior to fall marathon season. Plenty of time for recovery before and after.

The 2014 Reykjavik marathon is more than 4 months after Boston, more than a full month after the Lake Placid triathlon, and 2 months or so prior to fall marathon season. Plenty of time for recovery before and after.

as far as me as much as i would love to hop on a plane and scoot to the land of ice to just run a marathon when i can just run one here legitimately or not and after spending 2k on a trip to NY one month before...i don't think i can sell this idea. plus marathons are no longer interesting to me. not even for "fun". unless of course it includes water, mud, snow, boulders and lots of negotiating obstacles but then it wouldn't be just another crappy marathon chasing a faster time. it would be more a challenge of skills you put to use. skills that make you think. put your brain to use...you know? marathons are boooooooooooring. running is booooooooooooring. ah-yut.

booooo, i know. i am such a buzz kill. Dead

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

as far as me as much as i would love to hop on a plane and scoot to the land of ice to just run a marathon when i can just run one here legitimately or not and after spending 2k on a trip to NY one month before...i don't think i can sell this idea. plus marathons are no longer interesting to me. not even for "fun". unless of course it includes water, mud, snow, boulders and lots of negotiating obstacles but then it wouldn't be just another crappy marathon chasing a faster time. it would be more a challenge of skills you put to use. skills that make you think. put your brain to use...you know? marathons are boooooooooooring. running is booooooooooooring. ah-yut.

booooo, i know. i am such a buzz kill. Dead

Blah blah blah do it anyway.

GregM

I'm with Greg on that.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.