Circle North

Blah blah blah I have an idea (Read 14 times)

As we all know, the Tuesday group run is not what it once was. Most of the time hardly anybody even shows up anymore. I've been thinking that it's time to take some steps to change that.

I've been tossing around some ideas in my mind as to what to do about it. It's not as if just pointing it out will make everybody that used to show up regularly suddenly start doing so again. That would be great, but yeah, probably not gonna happen. Things change. That's got me thinking about how to attract some new blood.

On the one hand, there are those of us who are used to it being the way it is, the way it's been. Show up, make some sort of half ass decision about what route to run, and go. If it gets spread out, it gets spread out, and nobody usually gets offended or intimidated. If you want to pick it up, just do it, and if you don't, then don't. You might get dropped like a rock, but somebody will (almost) always be there waiting in the parking lot to make sure you got back okay. Sometimes it turns into dumbassery and sometimes it doesn't. I like it that way, and don't necessarily want to change it, but it's not for everybody.

On the other hand, the inescapable fact is that the Tuesday group run is in danger of fading out, and that would suck. I think it's time to consider another option.

Here's what I have in mind. Leave Tuesday the way it is, and start another weekly group run on Thursdays. There would be some definite differences between the two.

Some of the ideas I've been thinking about for the Thursday run...
    Consistent start time 5:30.
    Consistent pace 9:00 miles. Slower if need be.
    Consistent distance. Two 5k loops. People would have the option to do one 5k or both for 10k. There would be 5 or 6 distinct loops that we'd rotate from week to week so it's not always the same couple routes.
    Everybody stays together as a group. NO dumbassery allowed. This would be a purely social run where nobody gets dropped.

I think a couple of us at least at first would need to take on a leadership role in terms of picking the course, shepherding everybody around, and generally organizing so that the structure stays in place. I'd volunteer to be one of these people, but I think it would take a few of us willing to do it to make sure that it happens consistently, at least at first.

Once all the initial details are worked out, I'd make up some flyers and put them around in likely places where interested people would see them. Facebook, word of mouth, etc. also.

So as you can see I don't have it all worked out yet. Ideally this would attract some new people, and eventually some of those people might start showing up on Tuesdays as well. There are likely some things I haven't considered yet. Tell me what you think. Tell me if you'd participate, either by helping organize or by just showing up to run, or both. Tell me what you'd do differently than how I have it above. I'm not 100% saying I'm gonna do this yet, but I am thinking about it.

What do you think?

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Love it. I'm in for shepherding or anything else needed. Also plan to keep making an effort to make every Tuesday run if possible.

i really don't want this to die either. Let me know what you need.

L Train

Also love the idea, not necessarily on an individual level but certainly on a community level and being inclusive of others.  You'd think you could coordinate it with the Y somehow and let them do your advertising.  Especially if I were needed for shepherding purposes I could make these happen starting in November if you do it.

Also hope to start coming on Tuesdays again once I get in decent enough shape to so.

Fro

Greg - this is possibly the BEST idea you have come up with for a bit (while other than the fun Jeopardy nite)....

I for one have avoided tuesday runs like the plague recently because quite honestly, that type of running is just foolishness while trying to implement an event specific plan that is aggressive by nature. It is hard to fit that type of run into "the plan" - too slow for VOmax or LT, but too fast for recovery. However, I have really missed running with the group and spending time. I fully intend to re-engage the tuesday effort post-Chicago....

But, if they are attended by CN, the idea of a slow thursday would be awesome and could fit any plan really - just tweak things so that a slow run is in store or a double. It could also be used to attract others - I know I have two non-group friends that are slower in which I could invite to attend right away.

Count me in...

Doug sucks.  Great idea!

What do you think?

I mean.    .

I do think one thing we'd have to be careful about would be to not categorize it and talk about it as a "slow" run, lest we come off as elitist bastards. The emphasis would have to be on the predictability and social aspect.

L Train

L Train

predictability 

doug sucks.

This is why we can't have nice things.

L Train goes to home football games on Friday nights so Thursday should be just fine....after football season.

social

I will try and make it whenever I can even if elitist bastards like Fro come.

What was I chasing again?

Trying to plan my run for the day if work allows...  is this starting today?

What was I chasing again?

Fro

Im out until Chi-town - then fully game.

Trying to plan my run for the day if work allows...  is this starting today?

No, this is still in the planning stages. Definitely not starting today. I'm still collecting feedback and gathering ideas. Not getting much input beyond that people seem to like it generally.