Circle North

Group runs (Read 975 times)

L-Train, Drugs DO help!! I too have had every problem in the book known to runners. Call it experience...?? I actually went to a sports doctor for my achilles problem. He had me taking Naproxen...not IBU. Most runners use IBU religiously, but for tendon issues... Naproxen seems to do the trick. Expect dry-mouth as the only side-affect. Similar stretching to what JW (Man cub?) suggested. Before bed is a good time. Again, don't over stretch & ice whenever possible. However, take care to warm the area before walking. Also, use a "boot" (night splint) if you have one. This remedy is often used for Plantar fasciaitis...(hmmnn, did I spell that right? Hey, I'm nursing a hangover. Be patient with me). Where was I? Oh, yes...this remedy works for achilles problems too...provided you're not too far gone...then surgery is the only option. Letz hope you're stage 1. FYI- when we sleep we tend to point our toes...thus, since all healing is done within the sleep cycle...so too can it be undone with those first few steps in the morning. Be patient when getting out of bed...take the time to warm the affected area with a short massage...try not to walk barefoot first thing..especially on plush carpeting... Note: I also did the lift thing..., but wouldn't advise only one. Wear the same on both feet...good for the goose...good for the gander theory...as I think you have been doing.... I believe JW manufactures these lifts himself. Maybe he an hook you up? Myself, I wear sorbothane inserts when I have a problem. They're not hard, also provide arch support, not full length, but provide more lift...roughly 1/2 inch- so although they provide cushion...still allow the needed lift. I have knee problems...so I do need the cushion. However, don't just do this with your running shoes. Wear the lifts ALL the time...especially if you're walking a lot in regular shoes....I've seen far too many runners wearing boat shoesWink There's a reason why I wear boots most of the time...I'm really NOT trying to make a fashion statement!! The truth is out!! Hey, I haven't checked back in the forum to see if anyone suggested any of this...so bare with me if you're hearing these things a 2nd time. I'm sure there are many other fixes...just felt it my duty to give my 2-cents...for all it's worth. Best of luck!! Did I mention my brother tore his achilles & NEVER ran again? Gulp!! He was nationally ranked too...so best nip this in the proverbial bud!! Again, as suggested earlier...if you run...run FLAT or not at all.
    L Train

Naproxen
      Seems like I read this somehere else - I will go buy some of this and give it a try. Really, I appreciate your and everyone's help and suggestions. I'm really not doing that badly - definitely would say this is stage 1, not serious at all, and what I'm doing seems to not be making it worse while I'm still getting easy miles in. Was talking to Animal today (saw him on my run) and told him the achilles may be a blessing in a way. It keeps me from running too fast whle I'm trying to build my mileage, which is what I should be doing anyway. I just can't do tempo or hill work wight now, and that''s OK, as long as I get the miles in.

"Beep, Beep!"

SUNDAY - MAY 17TH 8:00AM - YMCA Several of the group are meeting this Sunday, May 17th, at 8:00 AM at the Sanford YMCA for a long-easy run of about 10-12 miles. Everyone is welcome to attend. See you Sunday!

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

L Train

I will be there, despite your threat of running Hanson's Ridge Road. Tongue

GregM

Count me in, too.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

GregM

Anyone interested in running 10-15 from the Y tomorrow (Sun 6/14) at 8am? 

L Train

Greg -

I'm out this week - think I will sleep in a little tomorrow and maybe run 10 or so very gingerly tomorrow.  The smackdown Rick put on me today has taken its toll. 

"Beep, Beep!"

Greg -

I'm out this week - think I will sleep in a little tomorrow and maybe run 10 or so very gingerly tomorrow.  The smackdown Rick put on me today has taken its toll. 

I'll be at the Y at 8:00. What happend to you Lance?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

L Train

Oh nothing happened, I'm fine.  Rick and I raced Market Square 10k today and Rick pummeled me.  Methodically and emphatically.  I kept thinking he would come back to be but he never did - he ran a great race and beat me by over 30 seconds.  I'm just pretty sure I A) Won't feel like running at 8:00AM and B) Won't be doing much better than 9 minute pace tomorrow when I do run.  Not injured or anything. 

It did tell me that I am not where I need to be in regards to my Chicago goals, and that I don't know how to race a 10K.  Nearly 4 months to fix the first part of that, though.   

"Beep, Beep!"

Glad no injuries. 10K is a tough race: run fast like a 5K, but need to hold back like 1/2 marathon. I like it because you get a chance to breathe a  bit! Rick has the experience and nothing pays off like that.

Dave

"Beep, Beep!"

Sunday run anyone? 12-15 possible? 8:00 at YMCA. Let me know!!!!

L Train

In.

"Beep, Beep!"

Great.... Hope weather holds good... See you tomorrow.

GregM

Sun 6/21 at 8am is fine by me.  Happy Father's Day!

Home Away From Home

Hey all-

I'll be home soon and up for the long runs for sure. I have a 16 this Sunday then supposed to do an 18 next week so at this point I'm ready for anything.  Should be seeing you around the 15th of July or so. Hope all is well and you haven't forgotten about me.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.