Cornfield Runners

Introduce yourself (Read 201 times)

I live in Central IL in the Peoria area.  I was a high school athlete and once high school got over I stopped working out and all exercise in general.  About four years ago I got back into running to get into shape and that led to weight training and swimming as well.  I run mostly 5k and 4 milers; definitely going to run some 10ks this year maybe even a half.  I'm seriously considering doing a sprint tri in 2013 as well.  I'm always looking for new races all over IL and I wouldn't mind finding some in Eastern Iowa, Southern Wisconsin, and in the St.Louis area as well.

Checking in from Minnesota. Minneapolis metro area. Grew up in southern MN, went to school in Wisconsin, spent time in NY, WI and now back in MN. 

I'm a RWOL immigrant and have been poking around RA trying to find a couple groups to hang in so that is what brought me here. Oh...my mom grew up on a farm. I know corn fields.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Hi. I am Catty and I currently reside in the South Bend, IN, area. I'm not always a fan of the Irish and there isn't more than corn here.

In transit, arriving on time. 

TL;DR: Live in rural Ohio.  Running for a year and a half after being a fat, lazy smoker for a long time.

I live in the middle of nowhere, Ohio.  I'm about equidistant from both Dayton and Columbus, so I am involved with running groups from both places (RunDMC, ORRRC).  I ran back in high school, but was never particularly great (my high school 5K PR is ~7 minutes slower than my current PR).  I got injured (broken foot, other issues), had some health issues get worse (ulcerative colitis, autoimmune stuff, hypermobility stuff), and spent over a decade getting fat, lazy, and non-running.

I also took up smoking.  

My foot didn't heal right, I got custom orthotics, tried PT, chiropractors, podiatrists, and was developing a limp and arthritis.  Told I wouldn't be able to run, PT had long since quit helping, etc.

Early 2011, I read Born to Run.  Fascinated by the idea of ultras, but not so sure I would ever be able to do something like that.  I mean, I couldn't run 400 meters.  I limped in the morning.  I was out of breath going up stairs, and 

May 2011, I got a pair of Five Fingers at the rock climbing store I frequented.  I'd already lost some weight, and they were on sale.

Joined RunningAhead that same day.  First recorded run was at about 15:00 minutes a mile.

It's been about 70 lbs, 4,000 miles, and zero cigarettes since then.  Spent too much time obsessed with marathons and my first 50 miler in the first year, switching focus to 5K - Halfs for the next year.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

Grew up in central Michigan (on a farm) and ran college in da UP.  I wasn't much of a performer in college...never scored a point in track...but once I got out and more than doubled my mileage for ~6 more years, I ended up with a 10K PR that is still ~30sec faster than the school record.  Smile

I spent grad school chasing a qualifier for the Olympic marathon trials but that is all ancient history now.  I am happy if I can hit 3000 miles in a year and haven't seen the south side of 33 minutes in a 10K since 2006.

Now I live west of Indianapolis on 15 acres.  I have a quarter mile grass "track" where I host an annual beer mile on my land.  Depending on the year, I have either corn or soybeans surrounding two sides of my property.  I still own a tractor.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Valparaiso, IN myself which is about an hour from Chicago.

HUGE running scene in my area.  5K to 50K all within an hour of my house.

runmomto3boys

Hi. I am Catty and I currently reside in the South Bend, IN, area. I'm not always a fan of the Irish and there isn't more than corn here.

I thought you were a NYC girl!  I didn't realize you were from the midwest.

Chick from Wisconsin here!

BexKix, Bagel Defender

I live in Central IL in the Peoria area.  I was a high school athlete and once high school got over I stopped working out and all exercise in general.  About four years ago I got back into running to get into shape and that led to weight training and swimming as well.  I run mostly 5k and 4 milers; definitely going to run some 10ks this year maybe even a half.  I'm seriously considering doing a sprint tri in 2013 as well.  I'm always looking for new races all over IL and I wouldn't mind finding some in Eastern Iowa, Southern Wisconsin, and in the St.Louis area as well.

I am in North Peoria area - nice to bump into someone from around here!

I was a high school runner as well.  After "a few" years off I jumped back in, in 2008.  I've been on/off because of having my 2nd baby but have had a few races this year which is nice.

Winter is going to be more mile building - hoping for another mild one.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I thought you were a NYC girl!  I didn't realize you were from the midwest.

Chick from Wisconsin here!

In the process of moving to Jersey. But I'm stuck in Cornland at the present - I'll be sad to return there next week. =(

In transit, arriving on time. 

Hello, I am from Rochester, Indiana, (about an hour south of South Bend / two hours north of Indianapolis). I ran a lot when I was younger, but life took over, and fitness lost to work and family. Now that I have gotten older, I have turned my sights towards running again. SO far, I have run one 5K this year, and I have another scheduled for this weekend. I am also planning to try a couple 10K races in the Fall, and if I can keep to my schedule, I might try a 15K Turkey Trot, for Thanksgiving.

runningcop

Hi, I'm Mike. I'm 48 and live in Northeast Nebraska.

Curt from central Iowa.  Enjoy longer runs, half marathons, marathons and have been eyeballing ultra marathons.  I still make time for 5k's and some trail runs.  Next big race is the Quad Cities Marathon     http://qcmarathon.org/