Diabetic Runners

Which meter do you use? (Read 132 times)

I have seen a few things on the internet & other message boards about the BD Logic meter not being accurate. From what I can tell the biggest complaint is that it will give "false high" readings on occassion. I think I experienced one of these today, when my sugar went from 303 at 4:41 PM, I took 4 units of insulin, and at 5:15 PM it was down to 125. Now I know that 125 is a good number, but when it says 125 and I've just taken 4 units of insulin, that's a problem. I was in the gym parking lot when I got the 125. Ate 3 glucose tabs and went on in to run on the treadmill. I was so paranoid that my bloodsugar would drop very low very quickly that I cut my run short (by about 4 miles) and went home. Tested again at home, about 6 PM and got 62. I have a One Touch Ultra Smart, One Touch Ultra, and a couple of AccuCheck Advantages. My problem is that I don't know which is most accurate, or if there is something new out there that is the most accurate. So my question for all of you is, what meter do you use and why? Thanks! ~Stacie
      I've relied mostly on OneTouch meters for the past several years, mostly because through a few job changes, that seems to be the one brand that most insurances cover. Also, I love the built-in graphs on my UltraSmart... Also, I want to get the brand new OneTouch Mini, since it uses the same strips and would be great to take on long runs (the UltraSmart is a bit bulky for long runs.) My new pump came with the BD meter, though, which I've also used... I don't like it quite as much as the Ultra-smart, though I guess I should, since it "talks" to the pump... Definitely sounds like you had a faulty test, though, which stinks.. is there any reason in the world you would've been 341 at that time? If not, it's likely the meter let you down. Going way back down memory lane - I also had the first AccuChek meter - I remember it cost like $400 (back when 400 was about 1000) and took like 3 minutes to do a test. I really wish I hung on to those old meters - they'd be good for a laugh now! Marcus

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

My first meter was the AccuCheck II - it took about a gallon of blood, then wait, then wipe the strip, then wait some more. Glad those days are over! The BD meter I've been using is the one that came with my pump, and I switched from the One Touch UltraSmart specifically because it communicated with my pump. I saw an ad for the One Touch Mini a couple weeks ago and instantly wanted one for long runs, so I guess it would make sense for me to use the UltraSmart so I just have to get one type of strips. I just hope they are accurate!
          I use the Accu-chek Aviva. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but I use computer software to track my BG. As far as accuracy, ever notice when you do a control test the range that is considered acceptable on the canister of strips. Currently the one I'm using is 25 to 55. I did a control test yesterday before I went running, and got a 39. The meter considers this acceptable. I think the FDA only requires a 20% degree of accuracy. So if you BG is 100 you could actually be 120 or 80. I remember reading somewhere that the one touch ultra was the most accurate. Somewhere around 15 % accurate. Still, better than the old days. I remember my Dad, when he was diagnosed, all he had was those paper strips he had to pee on then compare the color of the strip to the color coded graph on the back of the package.
          "It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll" - AC/DC
            Hey, I'm still using Bayer's Ascemsoa Elite XL! It's sort of like driving my old '61 Buick years ago. It's about the size of that old Buick, takes about a gallon and a half of blood and a couple of days to cough up the results. Other than that, it's fine.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)