Diabetic Runners

Hey Robin (Read 165 times)

Congratulations! I see you ran your 1/2 marathon today How did it go? Details? Are you happy? I see you broke 2 hours!!!! Dave
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      Thanks Dave. Big grin It went OK actually, despite the rain wind and hills. I was happy to have been able to actually complete it as I knew I'd not really done enough training for that kind of distance yet. I took it VERY easy for the first half as I just wanted to be sure to finish it, but once I got to half way which was about as far as I'd run since starting again and was feeling great I picked up the pace significantly through to the finish. The biggest problem then was dodging past the people in front of me who were all going a lot slower by then. I spoke to my dad earlier this morning and when I told him the time I did he was actually disapointed as I'd done much faster times before many years ago. But once I reminded him that I'd only just started running again and that I was now also diabetic and was delibrately taking it very easy he wasn't quite so hard on me. He did tell me that he had got 1:35 about twenty years ago so I now have to be able to beat that time again for him to respect me I think. Wink
        I understand how you feel as 6 years ago I was running half's at 1:30 but now I don't know if I am even going to complete the distance never mind the speed. I think I have to be realistic and be happy to complete the distance as I too am just starting over and my age is against me. Right now I a just happy with the positive health effects my running has on my body. My training is going well so far but I may have to cut back on training and hopefully maintain my fitness through our Canadisn winter. I am thinking that a spring or summer half may be a possibility. Are you thinking Marathon for next year? Keep up the great work! Dave
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
          Bravo, Robin! Did a half with my son a couple of weeks back. (An unofficial Google mapped one) and couldn't quite break 2 hours. (2:01) My hat's off to you.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I think I'd like to do another marathon again, but this time round I'll not be attempting one until I have actually done some proper training for it as previous ones ended up hurting badly, mostly due to me having been young and foolish at the time and thinking I was invincible. Wink I'm not quite as young or foolish anymore though but the main thing that I took from doing the half at the weekend was that I still can if I put my mind to it. I think I might have a slightly easier time with training through the winter than some of you though seeing as the winter and summer here are pretty much the same, its just the rain gets a touch colder.

The voice of mile 18

great Job! I have a very similar problem - my mind still thinking I'm an invicible 17 yr old while trying to run on 34 yr undertrained frame. Sad

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Well I'd like to have a good Irish beer to help you celebrate, but the only thing I have is George Killan's Irish Red. A product of the USA, so I do not think it qualifies. Big grin
                Age is not an illusion