Diabetic Runners

Tucson Marathon (Read 298 times)

jpnairn

straw man

I finished the Tucson Marathon on Sunday in 3:31:35, my third best time, my 40th life time marathon, my seventh marathon this year. I screwed my blood sugar management plan up pretty severely, but I think I recovered fairly well. Without that problem, I might have had a PR. Maybe not. Does anyone else have this problem with the bolus wizard on the Paradigm 522? I punch in my blood sugar, my carbs, choose a bolus type, choose to increase or lower the bolus a little, anyway, at some point in this process I think I'm done, but I fail to give myself a bolus and the bolus wizard just times out. This happened to me on the morning of the Tucson Marathon. So at 6:30 AM with a 7:30 AM start, I checked my blood sugar and it was 407. I checked again to be sure, and it said 411. Shoot. I gave myself 6 units and resolved that I would just have to check more often than I thought, and probably eat something early in the race to keep my blood sugar from bottoming out. I was at 253 just before the start, ate a gel at 3 miles, then again at 5 miles, then about every 6 miles after that. So I thought I was doing all right, maybe a little bit high. But I was feeling good enough and close enough to a PR that I didn't want to stop and test. But I slowed down a lot in the last couple of miles, and my blood sugar was 72 when I tested at the finish. Oh, well. It was a beautiful day and a nice run.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry