Diabetic Runners

Just saying, "Hi." (Read 181 times)

Hello to all - I've been meaning to joing this group for a few weeks now, but after my 1/2 Marathon at the end of September, my legs made me take a few weeks off. Not much to post about in running forums if you're not running, but I'm back on the roads now. I've been a Type 1 diabetic since '84 (was 13 when I got diabetes). I ran all through high school and lettered in cross-country in college. Then I took a 15 year sabbatical from running until early last summer. I went on the pump four years ago, and though I love it, I'm still getting used to integrating pump control with longer distances. Now that my control is so much tighter, it takes special planning to get me through runs longer than six miles. But all in all, I'm glad to be back at it, and glad to be here. M

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Welcome, mgrimm! I'm also type 1, diagnosed in 1987, pumping since March 1998. ~Stacie
        Welcome to the boards mgrimm. Hope to hear more from you as time goes on! John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

The voice of mile 18

Howdy! are you doing the philly marathon or half mary in Nov?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Stacie! Always great to meet another pumper. Joe - I did a Half Marathon three weeks ago in Lancaster, which was probably a bit too aggressive, considering I just started running again in July... I finished well (1:54), but needed to take two weeks off after that to heal up properly. I'm doing a 5mi. in York in November and my goal for that one is to break 40 minutes. I'm a big fan of using the McMillen Calculator and according to that, my 1:54 1/2M translates to a 41 minute 5mi, so it's a way to keep pushing myself. But I loved the 1/2M distance and want to plan for another one in the spring at the latest. Marcus

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

The voice of mile 18

I'm down in Southampton, PA in bucks county. thought you might have done the philly distance run I just found the mcmillan calculator and am curious how accurate it is

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I've used the McMillan calculator and it's been incredibly accurate for me! I love plugging in a new race time to see what else I should be able to do.