Diabetic Runners

Introduction (Read 196 times)

Hello,

I'm not new to RA but am new to this group.   I'm a 46 yo married white guy with 3 kids living in Michigan.  I've been running since 2000 and usually run about 15 miles/week.  I am not fast but am proud of completing 5 marathons to date.  Here's my diabetes story...  I applied for a life insurance policy in March 2009 and didn't get the premium rate because my fasting sugar was 126.  Followed up with my doctor and was diagnosed T2 in April 2009.  Went on metformin, than Janumet in July.  Did pretty well with these along with diet, weight loss (25 lbs) and my running (A1C was 8.9 in July and by September, it  was 7.2)   Starting in mid October,  I began dropping a lot of weight but attributed this to increased mileage in preparation for the Indy Monumental Marathon on 11/7/09.  I had a very difficult marathon (went out too fast, tough wind conditions on second half) but finished in one piece.  Unfortunately, the weight loss and poor glycemic control continued.  I lost another 15 pounds in the month of November.  My doc ran blood work which confirmed what I thought - I was actually T1 (or 1.5 or LADA  or whatever).  Went on Lantus in December and started multiple daily injections with Apidra 1/6/10. 

I read Richard Bernstein's book in December and have adopted a low carb diet, multi daily injections, and close monitoring of bG.  Since starting the Apidra, my readings have been good (averaging 120 over the past month).  I am currently considering a pump.  I'm hoping this group will provide some encouragement  and assistance with questions related to managing the illness while keeping up with my running.  Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Kenny

Hi Kenny -- welcome!

As you are no doubt finding out, managing insulin, carbs, and running is a balancing act.  But it sounds like you are off to a great start on your new life as a T1.  I don't do the ultra low carb diet, but each of us has to find what works for us.  You can definitely continue running and marathoning, but it will just take a bit more effort on your part to balance (and rebalance) everything.     

Your story sounds a bit similar to mine in terms of some confusion over type, except happend to me at age 27.  I'm 43 now.  I've not run any marathons, but did my first 1/2, and 1st sprint triathlon last year after sticking mainly to 5 and 10K's previously.  I've been on pump for the last 8 yrs, and also recently got a CGM.  I definitely recommend pumping because it gives you a much better way to fine tune your basal insulin, which is especially helpful for running.  The jury is still out on the CGM due to accruacy issues, but it does help with spotting trends. 

Good luck in your journey, both with running and with diabetes!

Progress Trumps Pefection
        Thanks Carol - I appreciate your feedback. 

The voice of mile 18

Hikenny welcome to the DR forum!  that LADA is some scary stuff. hope you are getting a better handle on things

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Thanks Joe,

I am doing much better.  I go to see my doc in a couple of weeks.  I'm hoping for good news on the a1c.  My bG readings have been pretty good for the past 2 1/2 months.  I, also, hope to get more info on a pump.

Kenny

The voice of mile 18

I'm not a pumper but the ones i do know also use those fancy continiuos glucose monitors (CGMs) to help check everything in check.  any other pumpers want to check in on this?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy