Diabetic Runners

Hello? Hello? Where is everyone? (Read 349 times)

Hope this means that everyone is healthy and outside enjoying summer running Smile We are losing over 4 minutes of sunshine a day right now, so I am trying to be outside as much as possible. Luckily for me, we don't have to deal with scorching temps. For those of you racing - has it been a good season so far?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Well my excuse for being away for a while was due to a skiing injury, but I have started back in my attempts to be healthy again now and did a five mile race a couple of weeks ago which didn't go too badly. Don't know what this summer thing your on about is though, just rain here for the last 40+ days in Ireland, but at least we're not flooded out I guess like our neighbours in the UK.
        Hey congrats on the come back! The UK flooding is really scary - glad it is not affecting you. So, 40 days of rain, eh, any arks in site sight Big grin I'm in Alaska - any day that there is no snow is kinda like summer Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

The voice of mile 18

sorry just been busy w/ work and a week sorta off on vacation.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I'm in the middle of changing careers. Shocked My last day at my old job was last week, so i no longer sit around all day at work looking for something to entertain myself. Big grin I'll start new teacher orientation week after next, so hopefully I'll get into a new routine then!

The voice of mile 18

wow good luck on the career change that's incredibly noble and cool

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Stacie - that's great! Congrats! What will you be teaching? What grade/s?

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Hi Joe, hope the sorta vacation went well. Was it the kind used to get caught up on house stuff?

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Thanks guys! I'll be teaching 7th grad math/ pre-algebra.
                      My excuse is busy. Busy, busy, busy. Been keeping up with my running, though - 3 miles every other day. I have just started training this week for the Long Beach Half-marathon. I'm training solo, which is kind of daunting. I trained with a group for the L.A. Marathon and, although I did a few long runs on my own, it was helpful to have some support around. So, what say you about training for a long race - solo or group? Is it just a matter of personal preference and disposition or does it make a difference in preparation. Congrats, by the way on the new job. Math teachers are in high demand. Terry
                        Hi Stacie, Congrats on the teaching position. Hope you have many, many enjoyable years in the classroom. I'm entering my 31st year with the little buggers and I love it more each year. Sorry to the rest of you guys for staying quiet here for so long. (Some of you who have been on-line here for the past year or so remember me I'm sure.) As "owner" of this user group I've been listening to everyone, enjoying the conversations, and watching the forum grow in numbers. Don't worry if there is a lull once in a while. It's bound to happen. Sometimes sheer numbers of people makes it more difficult for friendly conversations to pop up. The reason for my silence on this forum is simple. I am experimenting with NOT running for a season. I want to see what it will be like when (if) I can no longer run. Besides, runners my own age are getting hard to find around these parts. A couple of local runners my age were forced to stop due to medical issues. (Reality check: Time does eventually win out.) I am testing my own theory that it is better emotionally to choose to stop running while I am still able to run and not when I reach the point where I have no choice. With my neuropathy starting to get serious, who knows. I thought I would see what it is like without my running fix each day. I still do a good amount of walking in order to keep the diabetes in check. So...in a nutshell, I am deliberately attempting to stay away from an activity I've loved doing for many, many years. To think that last season I was running 40 mile weeks with a couple of half marathons thrown in for fun with my son who is 22. Damn it, I miss it! and then my son had to up and move to Virginia. Something about a job in his field. I guess that was the purpose of college. Still I lost my running partner. So keep it up kids. Gotta go for a walk! Yes John (Enjoy the new job Stacie!) Smile

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Thanks John! It sounds like you're doing great with trading walking instead of running - you make it sound much easier than it probably is!
                            Stacie, You're right, I played the ease of the transition up just a tad. I do miss it a lot and will probably get back to just some casual light running this season. What is curious is that with this break there is a feeling of freedom that goes with not planning the next run; its distance, the day's pace, what kind of course, which shoes to use, easy run day or hard, etc., etc. Now, at the end of the day, my wife and I simply lace up the walkers and hit the road for 30-40 minutes at a fast pace. I don't think we runners realize just how much of our day-to-day lives revolve around our running. Got to remember, running is a means, not an end. John

Hi John, transitioning activities - especially from one you love so much - takes way more discipline and dedication than just "carrying on". I'm sure your wife is happy that she is your "new" partner Smile

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

Yeah, I think she kind of likes walking together. We used to 10K it together years ago along with some other friends. But since having our 3 boys, a vein problem relegated her to a walking regime which she enjoys. She would be the first to admit that running wasn't her favorite activity anyway. I'm not sure who started this thread, but it is time we get things fired up. Last year at this time there were all kinds of little conversations. pp would simly share how they were doing. Maybe everyone's questions have been answered. I think I might go back and revive some of the old threads. There were some very good questions and observations made. If I keep this up, I'll find myself lacing up. (It has been a tempting thought as the weather here in western New York State has been absolutely splendid. A little hot at times, but a real temptation nonetheless.)