Diabetic Runners

Higher Mileage--What to Expect (Read 162 times)

As I approach this race in September (now I remember why I never liked races) my mileage has been about 20 per week for a month and over 25 each of the last two weeks. This coming week I'm planning 30 and then taper for September 3rd. Starting about 10 days ago my postprandial BG has been steadily falling, almost to the point where I need to work at keeping the numbers up to normal. (Read an article this week in Diabetic Forecast on the dangers of keeping sugar too low.) At first I thought it was a fluke and didn't say anything here. But is seems to be consistent. For example, last evening's dinner included about 60g of carbs and included fresh green beans and broccoli, a slice of tomato, two ears of corn, two slices of whole wheat bread, a veggie burger (pretty good these days but like the real thing better) and two wedges of mellon. Did my usual 30 minute light walk with my wife and was 64 two hours later. Yesterday afer a big meal it was 76 (without the walk) and the day before that it was 80. Eating like this two months ago would push the numbers up substantially. My fasting glucose has dropped a little but is pretty steady at 100 so the liver must be doing its balancing act for me. I guess the points are: 1. I can't find any real concerte medical information out there that really addresses diabetes within the context of intense exercise, and 2. from my personal experience, we should anticipate a major change as to how your manage your diabetes. I would assume whether type 1 or type 2, intense exercise will dramatically affect our day to day management of the disease. Mind you, this change did not happen until well into my training for this race. It was almost as if my metabolism changed at a certain point. I would really like to find a medical expert on the disease who is a diabetic and a runner. Wouldn't that be cool! to find a "Dr. Sheehan" for running diabetics who can really answer our questions. You guys remember Dr. Sheehan? He was our medical prophet back in the mid 70's.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

John, 64 is a little low, 76 sound ok to me. You may need a big meal from time to time, but I would be careful and not assume too much yet. I have noticed that I need to eat at bed time now, last night had a totilla with peanutbutter, and a full glass of milk, fBS was 92, night before samething FSB was 89. I hardly ever see the 80s. Been feeling real wired, shakey, lately, wondering if it has to do with overall BS numbers comming down. The A1C will tell all. Joe
      Age is not an illusion
        Actually Joe. They are both low. Especially when you consider that these are after meals. A nondiabetic, I believe, would be in the 90-115 range. John

Since I've started running all my BG readings are averaging lower than b4. My FBG has always been around 70. It's funny though, (& maybe it's just my body) but whenever I go on a run starting below 100 I only drop a few points. If I go out at over 100 I see a significantly bigger drop in BG post run. It leads me to conclude that carbing up a lot b4 a run may not be a good thing- to have that big a swing even if it doesn"t go too low and maybe just a light carb meall pre run and experiment with eating or drinking carbs along the way to keep things even as my runs get longer. Any opinions?
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
            Interesting observation. Now that you mention it, I believe I've noticed a similar pattern. J