Diabetic Runners

Site Slams ADA (Read 288 times)

Anybody have any opinions? Site claims ADA recommends too much protein and fat. . http://www.defeatingdiabetes.com/index.asp They recommend a vegetarian diet with primarily complex carbs. What do you think of this idea? Dr. Bernstein also says ADA recommenda to many carbs and he recommends high protein low carb. So many opinions it's hard to know who to believe. I go for higher low glycemic carbs with low fat proteins. good fats.and lots of fiber. What works for you ?
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      Notice PETA in the upper right hand side? That tells me the the people running the web pages are beyond absolutely insane. Don't ever ask them to look up or their eyes will roll al the way to their toes. Your average snail iis smarter. Want to know what I really think?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I seem to be eating closer to a Vegan diet only because I feell it is healthy but I don't believe that all animals are sacred as Peta does. It's too complicated for me to figure out how to conbine carbs to get a complete protein so I do eat meat. I do go to extremes to only eat lean meat though. Interesting that Dr. Bernstein also slams the ADA for the opposite reason PETA does. It is interesting about fat though. I read that combining fat with your meals will slow down BG increases (apparenttly explaining why diabetics can eat high fat brands of ice cream)yet they now say that fat screws around with your insulin resistance. Who is a person to believe?
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
          Remember, we need carbs to live! and the more I exercise, the more carbs (complex of course, diabetic or not!) I NEED to eat to keep my BG number in line with good health. Yes, the site may have political overtones, but I believe there is some truth to this carb/fat issue. This week with my mileage hitting 25 for the week, I've been able to eat almost "normally." By that I mean good meals, low in fat and loaded with fruits, veggies and grains.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I seem to be eating closer to a Vegan diet only because I feell it is healthy but I don't believe that all animals are sacred as Peta does. It's too complicated for me to figure out how to conbine carbs to get a complete protein so I do eat meat. I do go to extremes to only eat lean meat though. Interesting that Dr. Bernstein also slams the ADA for the opposite reason PETA does. It is interesting about fat though. I read that combining fat with your meals will slow down BG increases (apparenttly explaining why diabetics can eat high fat brands of ice cream)yet they now say that fat screws around with your insulin resistance. Who is a person to believe?
            BEING fat screws around with insulin resistance. This is a tow edged sword. Eat too much fat and you get fat. But eat enough fat and you balance the spikes in BG. The more weight I lost the more carbs I could eat and stay inside my range limits. But that gaining back some of the weight when I couldn't power walk at work each day (I got promoted.......Not a day goes where I wonder if that was a good thing!) This afternnoon I was below 230 again. And it is not coming off as fast this time. As for eating nothing but veggies, I figure God put canine teeth in my head to eat meat for a reason, and who am I to say He is wrong?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Now that I have lost all the weight and started running I am forced to eat more (Starflight I know you don't wnnt to hear that) but my weight is starting to go down and I want it to stay the same or go up slightly with lean muscle not fat. So I am eating more lean protein after running and after my weight lifting. When my mileage gets as high as Johns I will probably have to increase my daily carbs as well. I am slowly discovering that exercise is just like insulin. It's just a matter testing when eating carbs and exercising and adjusting accordingly I was a little nervous starting my run this morning at BG-69 (my normal morning) but surprisingly it only went down to 67. I am thinking that I get a bigger drop when I start out a little high. Intherunning, I have started my log now, thanks Dave
              WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                Hey guys. Be sure you are eating breakfast!! My dr chewed me out for not doing so a couple of years back. By eating breakfast you are kick-starting your metablolism (which actually contributes to weight loss), alertness, and all round better health and vitality. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Forrest, I undersand exactly where you are coming from and what you mean. I dropped down from 285 in Nov 04 to 208 by Jun 05 and was starting to wonder what I was going to have to add back to my diet AND still have good numbers. Then I had emergancy surgery and it took me a long time to recover and start power walking again. By the time I was walking again I got promoted and the walking REALLY stopped as I realy don't use break time although I have it coming and should. I bounced back up to 240 before I started running and dropping the weight again. I eat more fats than I should and had to cut back on that too as my cholresterol was too high. For a diabetic that is. My bad chol is below a 100 now but my good needs to double up. My running should help a lot with that. Your numbers are low for FBG or they are for me. My doc wants me to be no lower than 80 in the am. And not above 100. Sometimes when I get low I have a Liver Dump and find myself playing catchup. I'll test low, and while am getting some snack to get back into range my liver will dump sugar into my system and I end up testing high. Had that happen after the Indy Hafl Marathon. I went from about 105 to 161 and I didn't eat that many carbs to account for that much of a jump. We are on the same sheet of music here. Just different in how we make it all balance out

Hey guys. Be sure you are eating breakfast!! My dr chewed me out for not doing so a couple of years back. By eating breakfast you are kick-starting your metablolism (which actually contributes to weight loss), alertness, and all round better health and vitality. John
                    Absolutely, I agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Just ask any person with weight problems - 90% of them do not eat breakfast. (I was one of them b4 I started losing the weight. Now I can't even imagine skipping breakfast, I use it to get most of my fiber for the day. This helps balance your carbs and makes me feel full for most of the day. Consequently I do not over eat during the day and at dinner. When I was fat most of my calories came at night (seconds at dinner and snacking until bed time) All because I starved myself all day. My breakfast consists of All Bran and Fiber1 mixed with strawberries, ground flax seed, Psyillium Husk, pure cinnamon and I pour my smoothie (skim milk, fruit, nofat no sugar yogurt and protein powder blended) I really like this breakfast and have it most mornings without getting a high BG. It really fills me up so much that I can get away with a light lunch and light dinner. I wish that I could get to like oatmeal (I know its good for diabetics) but I just can't stomach it. Fiber is the key to lowering your cholesterol and your blood sugar. I go to about 120 BG with this meal (a lot higher without the fibre) My Cholesterol stayed a little high for diabetics and stroke patients even though I had lost the weight. The doc kept me on lipitor because my cholesterol needed to be a little lower than the average recommendations. I did a lot of reading on the subject and discovered flax seed might be the key because of its high fibre and the omega 3 fatty acids. My levels dropped to below std. recommended levels and my A1c also dropped to 4.9 from 6.1 and 8.1 on previous tests. After getting the same results on my last test my doctor was convinced that I could drop my Lipitor. (Yeah! My last Medication except for low dose aspirin!) So you can see why I truly believe in “FIBER” http://www.webmd.com/content/article/61/71457.htm http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/article.cfm?AID=1886&SSL=n&page=1 You need adobe reader for this (free) http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/pdf/QuakerMaterials/Q_Diabetes_FINAL2%20.pdf
                    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                      Forrest, I undersand exactly where you are coming from and what you mean. I dropped down from 285 in Nov 04 to 208 by Jun 05 and was starting to wonder what I was going to have to add back to my diet AND still have good numbers. Then I had emergancy surgery and it took me a long time to recover and start power walking again. By the time I was walking again I got promoted and the walking REALLY stopped as I realy don't use break time although I have it coming and should. I bounced back up to 240 before I started running and dropping the weight again. I eat more fats than I should and had to cut back on that too as my cholresterol was too high. For a diabetic that is. My bad chol is below a 100 now but my good needs to double up. My running should help a lot with that. Your numbers are low for FBG or they are for me. My doc wants me to be no lower than 80 in the am. And not above 100. Sometimes when I get low I have a Liver Dump and find myself playing catchup. I'll test low, and while am getting some snack to get back into range my liver will dump sugar into my system and I end up testing high. Had that happen after the Indy Hafl Marathon. I went from about 105 to 161 and I didn't eat that many carbs to account for that much of a jump. We are on the same sheet of music here. Just different in how we make it all balance out
                      Starflight My FBG's have mostly been between 70 and 100 never above occationally a little lower and my doctor is fine with that. He seemed more concerned about high FBG results. I have not experienced that "liver dump" you referred to yet. That must be frustating and difficult to know how to get it back into line. Dave
                      WHO FARTLEK"D ?