Diabetic Runners

Unexpected results (Read 185 times)

I ran my regular 1.3 miles this afternoon in 87* weather. A little muggy but not at all bad. My pace started off nice with longer strides than I normaly take and it felt good too. Then before the quarter mile landmark I hear beeeeep beep beep. Sometimes it settles down back at my 75% (138) range so I kept pace for another 20 seconds or so then checked the rate 161 Okkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay now. Still felt good but took it down to a fast walk and then at 120 picked up the run again. At the end I ran and ignored the HM alarm and finished with 157. I seemed to be hitting HR above my 75% max more than normal, os I walking more. My total time was 9 seconds better than yesterday and pace was 6 seconds better. My right knee was a sore during the run but noticable only if I took the time to notice. Now 2 hours later the mussle above and below are sore. But not swelling or discoloring as if I tore something. Weather forecast is for 88* and VERY muggy tomorrow. If true I won't run. I am off Friday and will AM run instead unless thunder bummers are in the area. AND it depends what I really did to my right leg. IT all just felt so good this time out and my time was too.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Starflight. Trust the numbers! Those heart rates are too fast for your normal runs. You won't last long at 155+ Also, I find that my HRM will sometimes read very high if I didn't dampen the strap and my chest enough. Those gadgets need water to transfer signals properly. Hope you are tending to your knee properly. I would be sure you are icing it. Friday I would start by walking and working up to a slow jog before much else. If the pain does not reappear or subsides as you start out, you might be okay. If it persistes, you might be needing some extended rest for it. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Wow Your HRM really works for you. Obviously you can't sense when you are running too hard.That's great that you are paying attention to it! Ice Ice Ice You need to start icing that knee. If you don't have a flexible freezer gel pack. You can keep a foam coffee cup filled with water in the freezer.Rub the sore area with the ice and peel back the foam as the water melts. Do not ice more than 10 minutes at a time or you could freeze your skin.The standard precedure is RICE rest, ice, compress and elevate. If it doesn't hurt during your run it doesn't mean running is good for it. It probably means your endorphins are kicking in and blocking your pain perception until you finish your run. Whatever is wrong icing it can only help. Dave
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
          No ice last night just a lot of bengay. Actually the knee feels fine, it is the hamstring right bhind the knee that is bothering me. It is sore and tight this morning. Several years ago, as in about 8 years or so, I arrived home after a nice 1 hour air conditioned drive at the same time as a thunder bummer did and attempted to sprint accross the yard to keep from getting soaked. Well about half way to the door I hear POP and feel a sharp burning pain behind my right knee. I then hit the ground like a ton of bricks and slid to the porch on the grass. Shortly the back of my leg was turning sick shades of black and blue. I hurt for weeks. I had really messed up the hamstrings in that leg. So I MUST strech well and yesterday afternoon I just did a few fast streches, walked/jogged the .3 mile warm up and started my run. Lesson learned! John, I think your advise for my Friday run is smack on! I'll also start using ice on that knee/hamstring and take better care of it. Sometimes I over think/react/worry about things which leads me to ignor things that I SHOULD attend to, thinking that I am just over thinking/reacting/worrying about it! I have my HM adjusted and in place by the time I reach my start point for the run. And I sweat under that band, soaking it well by that time too. I too have had some high readings when I first put it on. I had one reading of 191 and it stayed there too, untill I re adjusted the strap. I thought my brand new HM was broke for a minute! I hear KY Jelly is good to use under that strap. Except for the sore/stiff hammy I wish all my runs could like that! My fauld for not properly streching!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

No run tonight just some light streching and there is no doubt that it not my knee hurting. What hurts is my hamstring. I was carefull not to strech it too much, just enough to keep it loose. No point in letting it heal tight and having to strech back out again later

Be careful.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I was MHR 138 average was mid 120s. Used knee brace too. Seems more effort and leg tiredness to run that HR