Diabetic Runners

'Splain this one (Read 349 times)

I had a nice plate of pasta with meat balls etc and bread stick, thinking I ws going to do a nice 2 miles about 45 minutes later. Things piled up and the run never took place. BG @ 2hrs? 96! Checked again 95 so I ran a control test: Within limits. WHAT GIVES? It should have been 160 to 175

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

The voice of mile 18

maybe all that running is making you more sensitive to insulin or you didn't eat as much as you thought you did. either way cool

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

virtual run? Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

virtual run? Wink
          One wonders! Could be my body figured that because I always run when I eat like that it just jumped in and acted like I did? I have been fighting lows after my long Saturday runs the last 2 weeks too. Maybe I need to ADD carbs to my diet

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Are you sure it was regular pasta? I've used certain lower-carb pastas and they truly are LOWER.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Fast Food Take out: Fazolli's spaghetti with meat sauce and meat balls Total carbs 132g. Fiber 10g. Net carbs 122. Almost 66% of my allowed carbs before I started running

I don't know. What I do know is that from time to time I can get away with eating just about anything, and the next time my BS will go sky high. So just be carefull, and don't think you got a new lease on the diabetes. The running helps control the BS, any thing that helps develope muscle mass will help with the BS over time, not just when you exercise.
                Age is not an illusion
                  Fast Food Take out: Fazolli's spaghetti with meat sauce and meat balls Total carbs 132g. Fiber 10g. Net carbs 122. Almost 66% of my allowed carbs before I started running
                  Shocked Shocked Shocked - a gift from the diabetes gods! How's the foot holding up - issue resolved?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Just had a thought - I've actually had something similar happen when I've had a meal with a higher fat content - the 2 hr reading was good(not that good - but still lower than expected), but the 3hr reading my levels were still climbing. I don't normally test that often, but since I've never had a 4 hr GTT, I occaisionally do a similar type check after eating a high carb meal. Maybe the fats slowed the carb absorbtion? Just guessing..

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Shocked Shocked Shocked - a gift from the diabetes gods! How's the foot holding up - issue resolved?
                      My foot problem I think was that I started double knoting my laces. I think the knot was causing problems with gate etc. Now my problem is a blister starting on the inside of my left foot mid heal. Mole skin will take care of that. Ran 8 miles training this morning. The run felt good and I had a "kick" for the last quarter mile that shocked me!!I have no idea where that came from. Maybe it was the finishers standing on the bridge cheering me on! FELT GREAT!!

Great news! I'm so glad your HM training is going so well!!! Smile

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Talked to my RD today and asked about that pasta dinner and the 96 BG reading. She had no answer either except that with the running my body may be responding better. That is OK with me, after all that is why I started running to begin with. I am very much looking fwd to our 10 miles on Sat. Did I just say that? In PRINT?

Big grin

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group