Diabetic Runners

Hi (Read 315 times)

I'm new to this group and wanted to say hi. OK, I also wanted some advice! It's really hard to find info specific to running! I have "pre-diabetes" and run to control glucose and cholesterol levels (I really run just because I love it - the health stuff is just gravy). I recently started running outdoors with temps in the mid-teens to mid-twenties with light wind. Last 2 times I checked my blood sugar post run - they were 147 and 156. The levels do drop back down even with postrun eating. This has never happened to me with exercise before. Does this mean my IR is getting worse? I still have normal FBS levels, although I do get higher morning readings if my HS readings are on the low side. Any ideas what causes this? Is it possible that it is a "normal" reaction to the stress of running in the cold? Any help or direction to links that could help would be much appreciated. Thanks! Chenille

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

The voice of mile 18

Howdy! what was your blood sugar reading before the runs? my lousy .02 two reading isn't a big indicator how your insulin resistance is going.could be a cold coming on. sorry it's early monday AM and only 1 cup of cofffe but what is HS?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I also wondered what HS is. Smile Also off the top of my head, there are two factors which can contribute to this: 1.) If you run in the morning, insulin resistance tends to be greater in the morning (so it might not be the run driving you higher, but the fact that it's morning). 2.) Adrenaline (from running) also can temporarily raise blood sugar: adrenalin can raise your blood sugar, sometimes as much as 10 to 30 milligrams percent. http://www.webmd.com/content/chat_transcripts/1/103100.htm Unfortunately, I'm a Type 1 diabetic, so I can't offer any more advice than that (my dumb pancreas just doesn't do anything which to me makes things easier Smile ), but maybe some of the other Type 2's in here will have some insight.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

When you run you are using the stores in your muscles, in response hormones are produced telling you liver to produce glucose, these same hormones are surpressing the production of insulin, as these muscles are supposed to be primed to rcv. the glucose. Because T2s have IR, it takes more insulin to use the glucose, so this is out of wack and BS levels can rise. I hazard a guess that you are not eating before your run. You can try that, or if your are running very long distances then you can eat while running. Some people have trouble eating before, or during runs, if this is your case then don't worry about it. Those numbers are not high enough and certainly will not stay up there long enough, and in the end, running overall reduces IR.
          Age is not an illusion
            My blood sugars were 90 1st time and 105 the 2nd time. I do run in the morning but always eat breakfast first. I'm very into fueling for my runs! HS is short for bedtime/night time. I'm 4 weeks post a total thyroidectomy and am still tweaking the synthroid - but I really think my dose is pretty close to where it needs to be. I did find some articles that said that sythroid could effect glucose levels. Anyways, I ended up having blood drawn for an insulin level(never had one before) and a A1C - my last one was 5.8 in July. Both parents and a sister are T2 as well as both grandparents on my dad's side. There is a lot of T2 diabetes on my dad's side as well as an uncle and 1st cousin with adult onset T1. I guess I'm a little paranoid about my genetics. I just really want to get back to running. Thanks all for your replies - it really helps! Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

If you're just 4 weeks post-thyroidectomy, that could have a lot to do with it - thyroids are quite sensitive....

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Yes when I was Diag. my doctor checked for thyroid problems to make sure it wasn't that that was causing the high BS levels. You will have to talk with your doctor about adjustments to the the thyroid meds. Your A1C looks good, so maybe no adjustment is needed
                Age is not an illusion
                  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.My endocrinologist is the one who is dealing with this, and said that the elevation I had in the blood sugar levels was not a "normal" adrenaline response. My labs will be back tomorrow. In the meantime - I went for another run - I'm sure it was in the single digits to low teens with the windchill. I did dress warmer, and there wasn't as much as a spike - 92 - 136. I'm thinking I need to convince my body that running in the cold is not something that requires a "fight or flight" response!!!! My HR does jump up pretty quick - but it's pretty constant through out the run.

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Armybrat

I sometimes get spikes during a workout too. I've done some experimenting and these are some triggers: NOT eating beforehand (theoretically if you eat something you will produce some insulin and your body won't be so quick to release stores from the liver) Hot weather or humidity Working out irregularly especially in combination with, Sprint workouts. My HR goes high fast too, but typically stays steady. SO I try to eat something first and I know what to expect if I haven't worked out in a while: I'm going to suck. Occasionally I've felt so sucky I've had to test directly after, and I have read 174 and 197!!! But if I eat something and run long rather than hard, it drops from FBG of 110 to 120 down to 100 even. Go figure.
                    Sassy439c

No advice for you (sorry) but just wanted to say hi! Smile