Diabetic Runners

Silence is NOT golden! (Read 174 times)

Okay everybody. Things have gotten way too quiet here. Angry I know things get busy and finding time to run is difficult. But now that we are in the autumn season let's see some reports on how things are going. Has your running schedule changed (like mine has)? Has anyone done any races they could report on? What are your running goals with the new season? How are things going medically? Has anyone run (unintentional pun) across any good articles or books on the sport, excercise in general or diabetes? Let's hear it. Open forum folks. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Well I for one, have been fighting new shoes, they seem to have settled in except they bother the ball of my right foot. I have allways had problems with it, but these motion control shoes give up cushining for stability. I will just live with it, as it doesn't bother me when I run. I have been trying to figure out why my speed has dropped off so much, and found out that I was wearing my HRM too high, dropped it down about 1/4" and it is much more stable. Ran a 6 miler yesterday with a decent time for me at that distance. I have an easy week next week and find myself wishing it wasn't. Dave, I notice that you are pouring it on Gregg, how is the back doing? John, sounds like you are working your way out of the funck youv'e been in. Have you guys checked out the Virtual Race group yet??
      Age is not an illusion
        Work has been pretty crazy for me lately, but I'm still getting some running in. I'm now struggling to get in 20 miles each week, where I was up near 25-30 not long ago. The weather has something to do with this, I suppose, since it's been cool & rainy. I ran a very small, local 5-K last weekend, made a new PR by finishing in 26:48, and got a medal for being the 2nd woman to finish. There were only 8 women (29 runners total), but I beat all of them but 1 Big grin I have a 5-K on October 21 in my neighborhood (I'm looking forward to having the "home course advantage"), a 5-K on Thanksgiving, and a 1/2 marathon the first Satuday in December.
          Stacie, Way to go! Remind me not to race you though, you'd get cold waiting the next 9 mins to see if I made it.
          Age is not an illusion
            John, sounds like you are working your way out of the funck youv'e been in.
            Joe, I've been in sort of a funk. (I'd be careful how you spell that word on here--I did a double take!) Work gets crazy this time of year and my running (as you can easily see) has dropped off. But I am content just keeping myself maintained until spring at this point. Read a great chapter in Dr. Sheehan's book, "Running to Win" on thinking quality, not quantity. We can drop off the number of runs and by increasing the intensity of each run and adjusting the distance accordingly, we can keep our conditioning fairly in tact during busy times, even to the point of only two 3-4 mile runs on the week end and one fairly intense but shorter run mid-week. (No long runs.) This is my plan for the time being and my week end runs feel absolutely great with no appreciable loss of pace so far. It certainly isn't a training schedule but I think it is really working to just keep me conditioned until training starts again for me next season. With this schedule work, family and running are all in balance and I feel like I am in control of my running instead of it controlling me. I'm sure you all know what I mean. I may do an easy 5K before the snow flies if I can find someone to run it with me just for kicks. My son, Tim is interested. Also, in the same book Sheehan kind of poo-poos heart rate monitors. He gives some old fashioned instruction on simply listening to the body while training. I keep an open mind on such things so I've been running the last several runs without mine and will admit to having some real enjoyable runs. It's almost like back the the real old days of motorcycling when my bike didn't have a tachometer. I would judge my shifting by the feel and sound of the engine instead of looking at a gauge like the younger kids did at the time with their newer machines. They would constantly chide me and be amazed at how I could even ride without one! Hmmm. Sounds familiar. Today's run was absolutely magnificent. A little over 3.6 miles with beautiful sunshine, temp around 60 and stunning autumn colors. PERFECT! So my funk was only a little slump of an adjustment to a more intense work schedule and the withdrawal pains backing down from 25-30 miles per week. I am really looking forward to winter running--well, sort of. Some days can be miserable and likewise, some days can be as much fun and satisfying as spring or fall runs. Anyway, I will need to restock some winter garb very soon. I had gotten rid of much of my stuff about 3 or 4 years ago. You guys in the northern climates, do you have any suggestions on any great winter running products? John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

John, Yea I know what you mean. I run because of the diabetes. I firmly believe that I need 30 mins of cardio a day, and I want one hour, and if I didn't run in the streets then it would be on the TM. Now running on the TM is like being a slave to the TM. The problem with the running is it takes more time. ON the TM I could just jump on give it 5 mins warm up and then dial in the number I wanted, and that was that. No stretching, before or afterward,with little stress on the body, no water prep. etc. The trouble with the TM is that there was no way I was going to increase my time or miles on it. Right now I would tend to hurt myself without the HRM. I think I have it strapped on correctly now, so it does not show HR at some higher than it is number like it has been. If it keeps giving me trouble. I am going to buy a different one. The weather has been real nice here, in the 70s for my runs, can't complain. Can't comment on winter running, as we do not have a real winter like you folks. Glad to here that you are not in that Funk. I thought you were in.
              Age is not an illusion
                MY back is still bothering me but getting better. I start out tight and in pain in the morning and get better as the day gets on. But not better enough to run yet, although I DO think about it some. And it doesn't help that I dream about running now. We were in the upper 30 for a low last night here. My compost pile though old and unturned was steaming good this morning. I remember running the fence line of the LCF (Launch Control Facility) in Montana in winter with the temp in the low to mid 20s and doing very very well though we didn't time the runs. We figured with 10 fence pole to fence pole, it was about a 1/3 mile/lap. That cold heavy air was like being on oxygen at sea level. I'll bet the density alt was below sea level!!! I have seen density altitudes here in Jan @ 4500 feet below sea level (the airport here is 658 ABOVE) So the running on a really cold -20* with a sever clear (high pressure centred over us) should be a blast

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire