Diabetic Runners

New Member Here (Read 267 times)

Hi there, I'm new to RA (formerly on Cool Running), and am delighted to see a group for diabetics here. I look forward to exchanging ideas w/ all of you. I've had Type 1 Diabetes for 16 years, on an insulin pump for about 5, and been running for about 2 years. Have run several 5K's, one 10K, and had my sights on the White Rock 1/2 Marathon last year but had a non diabetes related injury that took me out of running for about 6 weeks and nixed that. I'm currently re-assessing my running goals and thinking of getting away from pushing for a 1/2 and just being content (hopefully) with running 15-20 miles/week, doing the occasional 5K or 10K, and not pushing for more and more distance right now. I'm 41, about 10-15 lbs heavier that I'd like to be, and not particularly fast (28:29 = 5K pr, 1:00:06 = 10K only one). A question for the group. I think over the last year or so of ramping up and trying different types of running on different days (slow and long, shorter fartlek, hill repeats, etc.), I've really begun to guard against the lows too much and am seeing higher blood sugars as a result. My A1C has miraculously stayed at 6.3 for the last 9 months or so, but the standard deviation is not very standard and highly deviant. So do you guys think I'd be better off to make my runs more standard each time rather than varying the type of workout as I try to get the BG in better control? I have my own pet sitting/dog walking business, and that schedule tends to be erratic in terms of activity level, but I love it. Would welcome your input, and hopefully I can contribute something here going forward.
    Progress Trumps Pefection

The voice of mile 18

Hi and thanks for the BFL response. I tend to think alternating hard/easy days will get you better results and will make you less likely to burn out on running than just doing the same thing over and over again. but taht is myjust my guess

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Carol and welcome, I don't know that you need to be so precise that you run the same time whenever possible, but it does help to know how your body responds at different times. For example, my bolus for early morning runs is very different than it is for lunch or evening runs. For morning runs, I eat a normal breakfast and take 75% of the required insulin and start my run between 150-200. At any other time of the day, I'll take 40g of carbs 30 minutes prior to exercise and no bolus at all. I also think that while training 15 miles a week is fine for your goal, that will require a fair amount more insulin than many half-marathon plans, too, so that's something to take into consideration. When you're training HARD, your body burns some sugar between workouts. M

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

jpnairn

straw man

Hi, Carol, There is certainly no need to rush into longer and longer distances. Many people enjoy a lifetime of healthy, happy running without going long. You can always try it if you get inspired later. What do you do to prevent lows while running? An hour before a long run, I turn my basal rate down by about a third. To keep a steady blood sugar when I'm running with that basal rate, I need to eat an Accel Gel about every 5 miles or 40 minutes. I could go farther without the food if I turned the basal rate down lower, but I find that keeping the insulin and carbs up makes me feel better as the run goes on. At the end of the run, I turn the basal back to normal, get a meal and a bolus, depending on test results. For short, hard runs, I can leave the basal rate alone, since the stress of running hard drives the blood sugar up while the exercise drives it down. For short easy runs, I work out something between. What I'm saying is though it may work for Marcus, I don't think it's necessary or really good to get your blood sugar over 150 before you run. But we're each an experiment of one. And getting the exercise is probably worth it in terms of health benefits even if you do occasionally have temporarily moderate high or low blood sugars because of it. If it makes you more comfortable, and not bored, I think it's fine to be consistent about your running. As you do more running, and testing, you'll probably get more comfortable and more familiar with what works for you. As you get faster and more competitive, you almost have to have hard days followed by easy days. That's the way you get better, stress and recovery. And as you get into longer distances, it becomes almost a necessity that you do long runs, then rest. All of this can be managed with diabetes. Adjusting basal rates, boluses, meal timing, carb intake, effort, etc. Monitor the effects by how you feel, checks with a meter, a CGMS if you can swing it, etc. Dang, this IS complicated now that I think about it.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Thanks for the warm welcome Joe, Marcus and Jerry. I also much appreciate your input. My "forumla" for insulin dosing surrounding runs thus far has been a 50% basal reduction 1 to 1.5 hours prior to the run, and aiming for a starting BG of 150 to 200. If I needed carbs to get there, I'd have them. If not, no carbs before the run to try to avoid having a meal bolus slam me. If over 250, I'd usually skip the run until I could get the BG down a little. Got pretty good at handling the short runs that way (3-4 miles), with minimal testing or additional carbs. On longer runs (6 or more miles), I would test after every 2 to 3 miles and usually need some carbs (typically around 20g) at each test in an effort to always keep my bg above 120. Had my long run up to 11 miles when I got injured, but only had a few runs of 10 or more under my belt so not much experience there. For shorter runs, I usually didn't need to do anything special afterwards, but after the longer runs, I usually had to eat more the rest of the day to keep the BG in line (no specific forumla). I think I'll take some advice from all of you, and just take it easy and do 3 to 5 mile runs for a little while (plus some weights at the gym), and try to really get my insulin requirements down for that activity level. Mentally, I'm still a little gun shy of "too much too soon" after my injury as I need to be able to walk, first and foremost! But Joe, I'll watch the boredom factor and when I see that creeping in, consider targeting a specific race and getting more into a training mode with varied workouts. Jerry, you have inspired me to think I may be able to run without starting out with my BG too high. I hope by removing the self-imposed pressure of a training plan, that will remove my tendency charge up my BG as "insurance" that I can complete the run. Thanks again so much for all of your input, it is a huge help!
            Progress Trumps Pefection
              Hi Carol and welcome. Sounds like you have a great plan.