Diabetic Runners

anyone use those continous glucose meters? (Read 276 times)

The voice of mile 18

had another quick drop here today (82 to 47 in 33 minutes) I will see my endo tomorrow and think I"m going to ask him about it but curious if anyone here uses one any pro's or cons? thnx gang

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Joe, I'd like to, but am waiting until it's more likely for insurance to pay for them. Otherwise, the cost of the sensors will eat your lunch (and dinner too). Some people are getting them covered by insurance, but it's usually a long, drawn out battle. Have you ever checked out tudiabetes.com? If not, I'd recommend it. Lots of discussions about CGM's and other topics that might be of interest to you (diabetes and exercise, diabetics who run marathons, etc.). It's free, and a good place to go for support and info.
      Progress Trumps Pefection
      jpnairn

straw man

I used one for a while. I still have it, but my insurance company doesn't want to pay for sensors, and Medtronic won't help me with them. I'm too lazy or too inclined to avoid conflict, or both, to fight for coverage. Medtronic totally went to bat for me to get me an insulin pump, and I thought they would do the same with the CGMS, but maybe their policies have changed. But I think it's a great thing for a type 1 diabetic runner. For some reason I thought you were type 2, Joe. Was that wrong? Does your blood sugar really go up and down that much that quickly?

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

The voice of mile 18

I am a type2 and looking into it doubt very much I could get my insurance to spring for it but I occassionaly do crash - yesterday for example my Bs went from 82 at 11:59 to 47 at 12:30 due to an arguement over the phone. I notice when I get really ticked off my sugars can crash and think that may have played a role on my DNF on sunday

I'm in the same boat as Jerry -- I've read about some diabetics winning the insurance battle, but it seems like a lot of work, and from what I've read I'd probably have to stretch the truth a bit to get them to consider approving me. Hopefully coverage will become more lenient in the future, as it has for pumps and pump supplies.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

The voice of mile 18

I'm sure down the line it'll be easier especially if the cost of the units goes down but till then I just be smarter and test more.

1. Blue Cross now covers the Dexcom meter (maybe others) at least in California. 2. You need to prove you need help controlling lows before Blue Cross considers it 'medically necessary.' I have one anyway. It's very helpful on long runs for tracking trends - am I on the way up? am I on the way down? and how fast? don't rely on it for the absolute number. You'll still need a fingerstick for that. But it really can help avoid bonking. Terry