Diabetic Runners

How are you keeping Hydrated during longer hot runs? (Read 458 times)

I have High Blood pressuer, so maybe those pills aren't such a good idea at this point. Still I do not know if I need Salts while running or not, I have no idea how much one looses when sweating. If I could get through with out it then the Gu's would be all I need, or some Glucose tablets for energy. I think I would prefer that over the Sports drink thing. That way I could control the carb intake without having to have two different supplies of fluid. Joe
    Age is not an illusion
      Here is an article called "How Much Salt Do You Need While Running?" Towards the end of the article, it also touches on water intoxication. Somewhere in there it also mentions how much fluid a runner should take in. http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=12336&category=running
        Stacie, Thanks for the link. It explains the salts, but the US track and Field now recomends that water be replaced 1 to 1, not at the rate recomended in the article. that would make only 3.38 cups of water/hr, I used 5 cups sweating in 36 mins. USTF recomends drinking when thirsty, but as expained in other articles not all diabetics have the proper thirst response. I am looking at Gatorade at half strength would give me about 19g of carbs for the 5 mile run. I think I'll try it,and test the BS after. That 5 mi will take me better than an hr, I am sure. Looking at the Camlebak Fanny thing it holds 48 oz and states it is good for 1-2 hr runs, that fits with my calculations and my present pace, and water loss. Thanks for the help. Joe
        Age is not an illusion
          Here is a link about hydration from the USA Track and Field It has 5 documents about hydration in PDF. Doc # 3 has charts on how ro tell what % of dehydration you are at after a run. I have not had a chance to look at them all or anyone of them closely yet. http://www.usatf.org/groups/Coaches/library/hydration/ Joe
          Age is not an illusion