Diabetic Runners

Diabetic 4 minute mile (Read 398 times)

So I was just throwing this out there and wanted to see if anyone knows of a diabetic type 1 or 2 that has run under 4 minutes in the mile?

The voice of mile 18

not that I'm aware but don't see why not. might check w/ the DESA folks

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

q123

The Inferno

I really doubt it. Not b/c Type 1 diabetes would not allow for it... just b/c not many people run sub-4. Ive run a 4:23 mile and 1:55 half, but 4 mins is elite level running.
          Well that is why I am asking because I am fairly close running 4.02 mile and 3.46 1500m, and a type 1 diabetic. I have tried researching as best I can and can not find anyone that has. I figured it would be a great accomplishment. Good luck training....
          q123

The Inferno

Yeah, thats really impressive regardless, and doing it with type-1 diabetes just adds to it. Good Luck with everything.

The voice of mile 18

WOW! please keep us informed that is a fantastic accomplishment for any runner. good luck!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

q123

The Inferno

Also, I dont know how long youve been a type-1 diabetic, but be real careful after the first couple years. They Huney-Moon phase wears off and your body doesnt help with insulin at all anymore. I sorta learned this the hard way in college. I ran pretty fast my senior year in HS which was my first year as a diabetic. In college I did well my first year, but when my body completely stopped making insulin I took a lot of steps backwards and it took me til now to get back to where I was my Senior year in High School. You just have to be real careful to monitor any changes.
                  Very cool, Brian - my guess is you'd be the first! The only other "elite" diabetic runner I've heard of Missy Foy, but she's a marathoner: http://www.darmangroup.com/bios/foy.htm

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

WoW - Brian - that is amazing! Congrats! Loved the write up they gave you Smile Good luck

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group