Diabetic Runners

New Member - Sydney Australia + bonus question about Metformin. (Read 240 times)

Kultcha

Hi all - my story

Diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes December 2007 @ 41 years old.  Started working up towards running Jan 2008 -> managed first 5k run in April 2008.  Lost 20kg & now running 40 to 50k / week. Have never been a runner before but can't imagine life without it now.

Meds - Metformin 500mg (supposed to be one per day) which I typically take after breakfast.

Have been doing a lot of morning runs lately and thought it was not good to do a tablet after a run, so I dropped down to pretty much no medication over the last 3 - 4 weeks -> this turns out to be a real bad idea (duh)! 

Noticed over the last few weeks I was getting that "sleepy" afternoon feeling, I put it down to getting up at 4:30am to go for a run ... looks like that isn't it, and I have been actually getting some nasty bsl "spikes" ... now I am taking the Metformin again.

Sadly, I don't think I have come to terms with the fact that this isn't going to go away, I think I was pretty far gone when it was picked up and diet and exercise are not enough to manage the condition in my case.

Question -> if I am doing morning runs when is the best time to take a tablet (after a run? in the evening?)

Thanks for this group.

The voice of mile 18

howdy type 2 trigeek (diagnosed in 96) on metformin. who told you to stop taking your meds?  it should only be your doc and I am loathe to give any sorta medical advice over the net' cause I'm not a doc or know all your specifics.  why did you stop taking the metformin after the run?  were you going too low. talk w/ your doc and see if theya re ok w/ you taking it at night.

here's what I do but I take metofrmin twice a day and usually take it in the morning eat something light then go run (but always bring extra carbs and my glucose meter just in case)

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy