Diabetic Runners

Hi- introducing myself (Read 288 times)

TurtleT

Hi guys! I just came across this forum and am so happy to see it! I am 37 year old, Type 2, diagnosed in October 2006. I was in denial for a few months and refused medication. I just thought this is not possible - it must be a mistake! But sadly it was not a mistake. So now I take 500mg of metformin twice a day. My fasting numbers initially were in the mid 200's and now they run about 100-109. My A1c was 6.9 initially and now is 6.1. At my last doctor visit, I was fairly disgusted with how my doctor reacted to my increased running- she told me I didn't need to worry about low readings with longer distances. Huh?! She also did not help me at all trying to figure out how a diabetic needs to change their eating habits. I did my own research and ended up adopting the South Beach principles (by the way, I am not overweight either, this is a purely genetic thing- damn genetics! 5' 6 1/2" and 135 pounds). Sometimes I think I know more than her about it! Before diabetes I completed 1 marathon and a few half marathons. I took a few years off after that and now am trying to get back to it- just finished C25K a few weeks ago and moving on to the One Hour Runner schedule. I'm looking forward to learning from you guys especially on the topic of keeping blood sugar stable as the mileage increases. Thanks for letting me talk! Turtle

The voice of mile 18

see if your insurance will spring for a nutritionist and diabetic classes. it helped me (and my poor wifey) to understand the diesase and how best to eat and care for myself. my .02 I'd be concerned about having a low on a long run and always pack extra carbs, a phone and ID saying i'm a diabetic

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

DITTO what Joe said!!! But I'll add I'd be looking for a new doctor!! Lows CAN happen on long runs!! BTDT!!! Thank God for the Gatorade Stations!!! BTW if you are running races try and find out what "energy" drink the race uses and train with that! ID is a MUST!!!! Check out: http://www.idtags.biz/ They have a nice tag that laces into your shoe

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

TurtleT

Thanks for the tips! I checked and my insurance does pay for a nutrionist so I will be partaking of that service definitely. I also ordered a wrist ID and it should be arriving any day now. Thanks again! Turtle