Diabetic Runners

Ketoacidosis? Is this it? (Read 291 times)

This has happened to me twice in the past week: After a moderate run (3 miles) my muscles are sore all over, I feel a cramp or nausea in my stomach, I feel weak and tired and my BG is extremely elevated (+400). On the last occasion my breath felt dry and dusty, as if I'd been inhaling dust from drywall. In both cases my BG was slightly elevated when I started running (about 140) and I felt sluggish throughout the run. In both cases I had eaten about half an hour before running and had taken my normal bolus, minus one unit because I knew I was going to run. In the first case i had a ketostick available it showed a 'mild' rise in ketones. I treated by drinking lots of water and taking insulin. I have never really understood the mechanism behind ketoacidosis or rising blood sugars after exercise, but I'm going back to my library to try to grasp them. My question is - does that sound like ketoacidosis to anyone? Have any tips to avoid it, other than "don't do that?" I'm wondering if I should wait to eat until AFTER my runs. Terry
      Terry, I couldn't help notice that no one came to your aid on this serious question. Here is a link to the ADA site that might help answer your questions. This is something important for us to understand. I see in a later post that you completed the LA. Excellent. http://diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes/ketoacidosis.jsp John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)