Diabetic Runners

Hi! (Read 214 times)

I glance through the boards at the ADA sight occassionally (but I've never posted there) and saw a link to this site. I'm a 29 year old type 1 who was diagnosed a couple days before my 10th birthday. I started running almost 10 years ago, and have run 2 marathons (currently training for my 3rd), 2 half marathons (the 3rd is on Sept. 3), a couple of 10-milers, and more 5Ks than I can remember. I don't know any other diabetic runners, type 1 or type 2, so I hope I can learn a lot in here Smile
      I forgot to mention that I don't think I'll be using the log on this site since I already have one that I really like. If you're interested, here's the link to my training log: http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=VTHokie99;s=Abe99
        I glance through the boards at the ADA sight occassionally (but I've never posted there) and saw a link to this site. I'm a 29 year old type 1 who was diagnosed a couple days before my 10th birthday. I started running almost 10 years ago, and have run 2 marathons (currently training for my 3rd), 2 half marathons (the 3rd is on Sept. 3), a couple of 10-milers, and more 5Ks than I can remember. I don't know any other diabetic runners, type 1 or type 2, so I hope I can learn a lot in here Smile
        Welcome,VTHokie99 You are our first T1. Hopefully more will sign up. It will be interesting to get your perspective on things especially since you are already running long distances. Looking forward to your posts. Dave
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
          Welcome to the boards, Stacie. I began running back when Bill Rodgers was winning Boston and suddenly two years ago I was diagnose a serious T2. It wasn't until after my running tanked and I started losing feeling in my feet that I went to the doc to see what's up and voila!! Gave up running for walking during 04 and 05 thinking it couldn't be done. (Still walk 12-15 miles a week in addition to running.) This spring, poking around on the internet I discovered there are diabetic runners out there. Long story short I came to this site and opened up shop and found a couple of runners to join me. Like you, we just couldn't find much information on the subject, so we are just all learning from our shared experiences. We are all at different training levels and have two things in common---diabetes and a love of running. I see you're using coolrunning for your log site. The place is sponsored by Jeff Galloway! He's our boy. First read his book on running when it came out if '84 and have read it several times since. He's the guy that sort of invented the long run concept of distance training. Before him it was all mileage, mileage, mileage to get the races done. My own background is numerous 5 and 10K's, and 2 20K's years ago. I stopped entering races preferring personal adventure running instead. e.g. run to the next town and back (15 mi), run home from work (18 mi), stuff like that. I had a half marathon lined up for 9/3 but backed out today as 40% was going to be on a loose stone road not at all something I want to contend with. So anyway, we are all here to support each other, to ask each other questions, and if you discover something worth sharing (even if it's not worth sharing), please do. As moderator, I do not limit our discussions in any way. I noticed you are in Virginia. I have a son living in Farfax City who works in Springfield at the Boeing Company. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

John Sorry to hear you aren't going to run your planned Half. You have put a lot of work into it and you seem to be ready. Are there no other races on pavement this fall in your area? Dave
            WHO FARTLEK"D ?

The voice of mile 18

another T2 runner/trigeek checking in. diagnosed in 96. neat forum. so who's training for what? I got hooked into training w/ my sister for her first marathon (my third. guess I've forgotten enough of the first two to try it again)

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Joe H. Which marathon are you and your sister training for? I'm doing the Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon in Va Beach next weekend, then the Richmond Marathon on November 11. I'm doing a 30K trail race and possible a local 1/2 marathon as part of my marathon training. Richmond will be my 3rd marathon.