Diabetic Runners

Weather-related bloodsugar issues (Read 162 times)

I'll put this out there as a warning, although I'm not sure if/ how it would affect type 2s: I experience the same thing in the spring and the fall when the temperatures change - I'll have low bloodsugars during or after my run. It happened this morning. I had a gel packet at 5 AM, out the door by 5:30 and ran 4.5 miles. Got home and took 1 unit of insulin (a gel packet would "normally" need 2.5 units, but running "uses" some of the carbs) then stretched. I've been doing this all summer. Headed for the shower and had to have DH bring me a Coke. I had my normal breakfast, with the normal amount of insulin, and now it's low again 2 hours after breakfast. I know it's related to the temperature drop because I've been through this before (and snow skiing is even worse!). Changes in weather drastically affect my bloodsugars, causing many, many lows so be careful when you're out running in the cooler temps! ~Stacie

The voice of mile 18

interesting. hadn't heard of that before. thanks.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I have heard that it could go either way. Some may go higher, cold, like heat, can add to stress, that in T2's can lead to higher BS numbers. As we are all different, suffice to say be a ware of some change.
        Age is not an illusion
          I'll put this out there as a warning, although I'm not sure if/ how it would affect type 2s: ~Stacie
          Thanks for the tip Stacie. I tried to do some research and wasn't able to come up with much just like running with diabetes. I guess we will all have to experiment and watch or BG levels a little more closely during the upcoming winter months. Dave
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?