Diabetic Runners

Time for a new monitor? (Read 127 times)

I just had labs done and there was a 20 point difference between my monitor and the lab value - my monitor gave me a 20 point lower reading No so here I thought I was doing so well, and I find out that all the changes I made in my diet and meal times made no difference. I wonder what the point of checking is with that kind of discrepancy. How do you check your monitor for accuracy? According to the test solution - my monitor is just peachy Roll eyes

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

The voice of mile 18

20pts isn't that bad what were the readings if was 40 vs 60 that's a huge margin of error but if its 114 vs 134 that's around 15%. maybe I'm accepting mediocrity but dont' expect 100% accuracy w/ a small portable meter. what brand do you use? I wonder if consumer reports ever did a study on meters?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

It could also be a difference between whole blood readings and plasma reading... this explanation from Wikipedia: Whole Blood Glucose vs. Plasma Glucose: Glucose levels in plasma (one of the components of blood) are generally 10-15% higher than glucose measurements in whole blood (and even more after eating). This is important because home blood glucose meters measure the glucose in whole blood while most lab tests measure the glucose in plasma. Currently, there are many meters on the market that give results as "plasma equivalent", even though they are actually measuring whole blood glucose. The plasma equivalent is calculated from the whole blood glucose reading using an equation built into the glucose meter. This allows patients to easily compare their glucose measurements in a lab test and at home. It is important for you and your healthcare provider to know whether your meter gives its results as "whole blood equivalent" or "plasma equivalent."

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I'm using the accu check. Last year my FG was in the low to mid 80's - the last 2, I had done were 99 and 97(meter read 76). I know those are still normal but together with the low insulin level is not making me feel too great about the direction I'm going. I really don't have the energy to exercise any more than I already am! I could clean up my diet a little, but I really do watch pretty close most of the time, so I wonder how much difference that would really make. My A1C is holding steady at 5.7 - so as long as that does not start creeping up, I guess I'm OK. Just found out that my Dad is up to 2 doses of insulin/day as well as his oral meds. Seems like the manufacturers are more interested in "trends" rather than accuracy with the home monitors - so how come the test strips are so expensive!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Armybrat

MY Sidekick monitor will say I am at about 110, and the labwork will come back as 90... I've seen numbers up to 130 or even 154 fasting, but my A1C is 5.1, so I guess it evens out on average. Confused